cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InterMatt
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

have you seen sockets like this before?

Ok so the full story is I'm moving house and have an engineer visit booked for next Friday. Just got the keys to the new place today and had a look for the master socket. I can't attach a picture since the file size is to large but I'll try and explain.

There is one socket with OLD BT branding and directly under it a separate socket that I think is part of a Cat5e network. There are 3 other phone sockets around the house all with a Cat5e marked socket ether built into the same faceplate or right next to it. Along with that the faceplate in the livingroom has 2 sky connections and the 2 in the other rooms have normal tv arial sockets. 

What I would like to know is has anyone had infinity installed with a setup like this and what was the result? It looks like a lot of non essential wiring that could pick up interference to me. Will the engineer disconnect at the extra sockets at install if I ask nicely? 

I'll keep trying to get a picture up.

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
dja1000
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: have you seen sockets like this before?

You sure the house does not have wired LAN?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

I wonder if someone has wired the whole house for ethernet.  Perhaps they plugged their router into the phone master socket, then piped the ethernet around the house using the cat5 network.

If it's not connected to the phone line in any way, it's unlikely to cause interference.

0 Ratings
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

Use TinyPic.com to upload the image(s)

Then you can provide the URL's which will direct us to them.

NE

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

There is no need to use any upload site to post images on the forum just click on reply when that box opens click on the tree and you can download the image direct from your PC direct to the forum
0 Ratings
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

As the OP said the file size was too large.

0 Ratings
InterMatt
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

2014602204815.jpg

This is the best I could do aaaaand it's sideways.

Anyway this is what is in the sitting room. And on the wall opposite (where I have the tv) is what I think is the master socket with an Ethernet port under it. 

0 Ratings
InterMatt
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

2014602210414.jpg

And this one's sideways too.

A quick look at what I expect is the master socket...looks old.

Sorry if these pictures are massive. I'm on my phone and battling a terrible signal so I'm just posting as quick as I can before it goes again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

Just an RJ45 data socket. They're not the ones used by Openreach though. Previous owner must have had them installed.
0 Ratings
InterMatt
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Do you think any of this will cause problems at the install? I don't need a phone in any other room than the sitting room so should I ask the engineer to disconnect rest or just leave him it? Really what I want is a stable connection. Any speed that comes with that would be lovely! But as little interference and as clean a line as possible are priority.

0 Ratings