cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

infinity 1 speed drop

hi guys as you know for 10 months i downloaded at 35.5 i renew my contract few week ago..it drops to 31mb and  ping is a lot higher..i have noticed my data rate has been stuck on 33.478 for weeks..my max data is 42191 with noise margin 9.6 even when my noise margin drops to 6db speed stays same

31mb  spoke to dozens of bt ..some havent a clue..i know my only hope is a dlm reset..but guess what..they wont give me it..ive had bt broadband for 2 years now...over a year of that time has been spent arguing with bt..totally fed up of bt service

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: infinity 1 speed drop

BT Consumer can't easily request a DLM reset on VDSL like they can on ADSL. Normally an Openreach engineer has to request it after fixing a fault.

It's the noise margin applied at connection time that determines the connection speed. It's shown in the Troubleshooting > Event Log > WAN category for each re-connection. Is it using a target of 6dB or 9dB at connection time?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Note that as well as the target noise margin other factors such as noise and hence the max data rate at connection time will also affect which data rate (connection speed) is selected.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Chris-S1S
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Exactly same problem here since recontract.

Been in touch with BT numeorus times, the Indian call centres tell me differnt things, no help.

Still within 14 days cooling off so I am leaving BT.

0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Hi the wan results show 9db each time re connects...i have just tried  brand new hh5 type A ...no difference,,,my download data rate has been stuck for a few weeks now..my upload speed changes frequently...but my  download data stays same..like as tho its been capped...u phone bt..they put u threw to india..who read a script..or blame your hh5..total waste of time talking to them...then if your lucky u get a tech guy in uk..who i seemed to know more than him..he didnt know what a dlm reset was..he also told me in a few months my speed should go up..cos of this new 52mb launch...i said to him..do u think im stupid..my max data is 40mb when my noise margin is 6db..my usual download speed was 35.5mb until i re contracted now only 31mb ...so how the hell am i going to get up to 52mb lol ? i seriously think these bt advisers just try and fob you off..i will see out my contract..then next year i will have to consider my other broadband options.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

The connection speed and noise margin are linked. Higher noise margin means lower speed, but potentially better stability and reliability. The normal margin is 6dB.

As far as I can see there are two ways it can work. A higher target noise margin being used at connection time will cause a lower connection speed, or a capped lower connection speed will cause a higher noise margin. There are reported band caps of 32.4 and 35, but your case possibly looks more like a higher target noise margin which I think nornally goes up in steps of 3dB (6, 9, 12, etc)? An Infinity 1 customer might nornally be on the 0.128 - 40 connection speed band with a down target noise margin of 6dB. I don't know of any simple way of checking these things yourself for your line, you can only try and guess based on the other evidence. You would hope the BT technical support could inform you but we all know what that's like at times.

Whichever way things are for you unless an engineer fixes a fault and requests a DLM reset then you might just have to wait and see if the DLM eventually changes parameters and increases your connection speed again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

When you renewed your contract was that on 40/10 again or the new 55/10?

Either way in theory it shouldn't be any reason for the DLM to restrict your connection speed to a lower figure than you were getting previously. That should nornally be done in response to connection issues such as stability or reliability (error counts).
0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

yes when i renewed my contract it was for the new 52/10 service..the next day my speed dropped from near 36mb to 31mb  ping went up from 33 to 48...since then my data download speed has stuck..never changed..but bt arnt interested cos they say 29mb to 40 is what they say my speed can be between...they told me if i renew my contact my speed should go up by 2mb..instead it went down by near 5mb i have tried a brand new hh5...no change...i wish id left it on 42/10

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

When I recently renewed & went on the 52/10 product I had a full DLM reset and my ping went from 10ms to 30ms.

This was due to G.INP being switched off & my interleave jumping way up.

However, my speed did increase. Over the next week or so everything stabilised & ping is back down to 10ms & my speed about 49meg. So well pleased with the result.

I should point out that I was on Infinity 2 till March when I switched to Infinity 1 to save cash, losing about 6meg download speed. So maybe DLM had some record of my greater speed potential, or am I crediting it with more intelligence than it has!

I'd suggest just giving the DLM a chance to sort things out over the next couple of weeks.

0 Ratings
davis1963
Message 10 of 12

I went through the same thing, low speed, get the sales team to upgrade me and the speed is still over 10mbs below the advertised minimum

the  helpdesk aren't helpful, they don't call you back and just fob you off with it will be ok in a few days

might as well go to sky and get what you pay for, low cost low speed and bad service

0 Ratings