Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

infinity service? simply awful??!!

i don't usually resort to ranting over an internet forum, but i have just about reached the end of my rope!

i am a bt infinity customer.... (well i would be if my internet was infinate... its more like sporadic at best... certainly not matching up to its name) and in the year i have had it, i have had problem after problem after problem..

let me start from the beginning... i ordered it last year, booked a friday for the engineer to come... he was a no show (we didnt find out he wasn't coming until we called..) this cost me a day of holiday and my partner a half day. we rebooked for the following tuesday, another day was booked.. i called the night before to confirm... guess what... the hadnt been booked... so another wasted day of holiday... eventually on the 3rd booking, after nearly 3 weeks with no internet (we had been cut off the day before the first visit to allow the changeover to happen) we had infinity and for the first couple of months it was great, fast speeds amazing.

then a few months ago the problems started. we lost internet and it was off for several days before an engineer came out... checked our system.. all fine.. then came back to tell us we had been disconnected at the exchange (why this would be i don't know), ok we thought, stuff happens.

then 2 or 3 months ago we had more problems. the internet would drop for maybe 30 seconds every hour or so.. very annoying especially for gaming. as a result of these disconnects our speed had dropped from close to 70mb to 10mb. initially i put it all down to heavy useage in the area... but after 2 months of this i lost patience.. even if the speed was less at peak (which i could accept) i would expect my connection to stay on... i mean the name is infinity right?.

so tuesday 22nd of july i give in and call bt support centre. after being on hold for half an hour, i spend another hour trying to explain to some chap in india the issues... he couldn't see any issues on the link to my house, so we went through his checklist several times which ended with his solution being unplug the phone then plug it back in again (whilst on the phone to him..... genius), and wait for 3-5 days to see what happens...

i did this against my better judgement, then the sunday, 5 days after the call, no improvement, i call again, and speak to another guy in india who despite me going over the whole story again, still didn't grasp my problem and said i should rest my home hub and this will sort my wireless problem (never once did i say wireless was an issue...). Eventually after what seemed like an age, he established there was a problem on the link to my house and an engineer would come out in 24 hours.... hurrah i thought.. progress!

mr openreach engineer came out on the following tuesday (another day taken off work for this), checked our system and found no fault, but checked the bt lines and found a high resistance fault somewhere in the system to our property. he went to the echange unplugged us and then plugged us in again and hey presto... immediate jump to 70meg again... he said this would fluctuate for a few days but once the connection has settled it will all be working again, no biggy, thank you mr engineer

2 days pass the internet is drop free and the speed running at a solid 45-50meg, not the 70, but he did say it would fluctuate (and i am tech savvy so i know how it works) so we stuck with it... come the thursday it started to cut out, this time for longer periods, with the speed dropping to the 30meg region... i went away for the weekend and my partner reported to my drop outs again, i came home sunday it went off for several hours... 

so i got on the phone to BT india and went through the whole process again with a woman reading from the same tick sheet, constantly telling me "she really appreciated my patience", which ill be honest i was close to losing... she said that she could see that we had a problem, but she couldnt do anything and would send an engineer out (another day off work because apparently they don't work weekends) but it would cost us 130 quid if it was our fault etc...

eventually the internet came back, but i got home from work today to find it off again, not sure for how long this time... it has only recently come back on...

i've really had enough of all of this now.. everytime we have to call to speak to someone, its at least an hour of our time wasted with people who just don't seem to know what they are talking about beyond their tick sheet or unplugging and restarting the home hub! we have taken probably 6 days off work between us for these problems already... i spend 45 a month on this "service", if you can call it that, and it simply is not good enough.

the final insult is the "if it is found to be a problem in your property" policy that could cost me 130 quid.... i have recieved nothing but hassle from BT, no compensation for any of the issues we have been having.. if they do try to charge me this fee when the engineer comes on thursday, i will not be paying and will consult solicitors if required because as far as i can see, either the product description is misleading or the local infrastructure is not fit for purpose.

sorry for the long post, but i am past the angry strage and just feel broken and defeated... the internet is important to us in terms of mine and my partners ability to work from home.. so having a poor service, or no service is crippling at times.

as i say i hate to rant on here, but it feels like the only place i may get some sense.... if they do try to charge me this fee when the engineer comes on thursday, i will not be paying and will consult solicitors if required because as far as i can see, either the product description is misleading or the local infrastructure is not fit for purpose.

if there is anyone out there who can help me complain or take this beyond BT india i would be most grateful..

thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: infinity service? simply awful??!!

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi Robslusar,

Welcome to the community forum and thank you for posting. I would like to take a look at the details of your complaint. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

thanks PaddyB, i have done so

i know the rant is long, but we pay a lot of money for a service which when working is excellent, but it seems to be working less and less at the moment

0 Ratings
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

still having issues, the pre arranged engineer is meant to come this afternoon... not that i am convinced he will even show based on past experiences, hopefully i will have something positive to feedback later...... not holding my breath tho

0 Ratings
robslusar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

*UPDATE*

so our engineer came out yesterday and said there was nothing wrong with anything inside our house, most likely an issue on the line outside (which the previous engineer had said also) he suggested there may be a corroded contact or loose connection somewhere along the line which was causing our issue and went off in search of said problem.

upon the return he found that there was a loose/poorly installed connection in the cabinet/local exchange which he has fixed and this should hopefully correct the issue.

he indicated that there were a lot of errors coming up on the system, so i would summise that we were not the only people suffering problems so hopefully it has fixed a general issue in the area.

i have not been at home since he came so i will monitor it over the weekend, being local the engineer said he will do the same and pop out again if he sees any problems, fingers crossed that is the end of it.

quite surprised however that an engineer who no doubt carried out the same checks on the previous visit nearly 2 weeks ago wasn't able to/didnt take the time to look at the exchange in the same way that this guy did.. had he done so it would have saved 2 weeks of hassle and stress and time off work... but hey ho.... lets see if it is sorted this time

0 Ratings