cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
factorD
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

infinity speed cut in half again (last time in Feb 2018)

today I finally had my landline fault fixed. Phones would ring continuously since Monday so I logged engineer visit and thankfully he turned up (lots of complaints logged in the process). As such landline was useless as handsets need to be disconnected to avoid hearing continuous ringing. Even purchased/replaced master socket to try to isolate the fault to external factors, which did not make a difference. Engineer came in good time and could not find fault internally (do not know why they just don't start looking at exchange first), and then went away and fixed the equipment in exchange so the landline was restored to working order. 

Again, someone tell me why diagnostic procedures always blame customer end first? As it turns out the fault was in the local exchange, not even street cab. Unnecessary waste of time as I already ruled out internal fault. But I do not get to speak to Openreach as they decided that communication only goes one way, and we all pay for this service! I can see a petition forming to whoever is in charge of scripting diagnostic procedures - do not trust automated checks 100%, sometimes faults are external, believe it or not!

Enough said about the landline, now it is time to mention bthh6 which during the fault and since last year's fix in February, suddenly decided to connect at half the speed (from 52 Mbps > 24 Mbps with pathetic upload speed of 460 kbps, yes down from 10 Mbps to less than half a gig), moments after the engineer "fixed" equipment in local exchange.

The hub has is on latest firmware since yesterday but I do not see this causing speed issue as it was connecting @ 52 Mbps in the morning.

Firmware version:
SG4B1000E01E

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=24761Kbps, Up Rate=496Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=3.00dB

😩

I was told the circuit is in adaptation phase so it should restore the speed it had before.

Can this be true? With new equipment in exchange fitted professionally?

First time I had new bt hh6, it connected at much higher speed (approx 45 Mbps) being not far form local exchange, bu this new "equipment" does not behave as the old one for some reason.

Again, disappointed and thinking seriously of changing provider.

street cab situation.jpg

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: infinity speed cut in half again (last time in Feb 2018)

The figures you have highlighted are top of your expected connection range but your connection could be anywhere between the high and low figure shown on the dslchecker

i am surprised that engineer did not reset the DLM after fixing your fault.  Do you have a dial tone on your phone?  If so is there any line noise. 

Can you post full hub stats  advanced settings then technical log information 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
factorD
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

no problem with line, clean as a whistle.
before when it used to ring continuously the line has lots of crackle like ac current pulsating...but speeds were 52 Mbps down, 10 up even with that noise!
0 Ratings
factorD
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Two weeks after landline continuous ring got fixed, infinity speed still cut in half:

Data rate:

434 Kbps / 21.96 Mbps

My complaint has been closed on 23/8 as if "resolved".

I hereby demand  the name of the person in charge who "fixed" the fault and technical detail on how it got "fixed".

this can be supplied to me via private message, so I can have a nice conversation about quality of service these people provide.

as for the public viewing comment, all I can say is that it appears incompetent !

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 22

You still haven't supplied the information requested, we can't help you without it.

BTW you do realise this is a customer - customer help forum. The mods may be BT employees but they don't look at everything.

I would also advise removing the VOL number.

0 Ratings
factorD
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

thanks, you are welcome to edit my previous post as I see no option there for me to remove the complaint reference.
as for technical information, this is what I see:
Product name:
BT Hub 6A

Firmware version:
SG4B1000E01E

Firmware updated:
13-Aug-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:
0 Days, 8 Hours 12 Minutes 26 Seconds

Data rate:
428 Kbps / 22.21 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
528 / 22536

Noise margin:
6.3 dB / 5.9 dB

Line attenuation:
13.5 dB

Signal attenuation:
0 dB / 13.5 dB

VPI / VCI:
0/38

Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:
Fast Path

Data sent / received:
76 MB Uploaded / 779 MB Downloaded

Software variant:
-

Boot loader:
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Probably a line fault. Normally I would suspect that one wire has become disconnected, but I assume you still have dial tone, and there is no noise on the line?

If the line is free from noise, all you can do is to report the fault to BT.

Its important that you check at the test socket first, to avoid a possible visit charge.

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
factorD
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

please remove this post as it is now pointless, moving away from this service altogether!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Unless you are moving to Virgin Media, you will still be using the same pair of wires, and the same fibre cabinet, so any line fault will still be there.

0 Ratings
factorD
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

to isolate bthh6, I have swapped it with old openreach router plugged into old bthh3, speedtest measured :

38.11/0.76 Mbps 

then put the bthh6 back in and speedtest measured:

15.06/0.37 Mbps

note that I have already reset the bthh6 to factory settings, this did not help.

so much for my diagnostics, results plain to see!openreach dsl router.jpgbt hh3 & openreach routerbthh6 not behaving.jpgbt hh6

0 Ratings