cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mannyo1221
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

inifinity speed woes - resync issues

I switched from Sky ADSL to BT ininity 2 in July 2013, and below are a brief summary of events to date. please bare with me.

July 2013, got Infinity 2. as I am 200 yards from the cabinet fed by an overhead line almost from the cabinet. I was getting 77meg down and 18meg up. This was how it was until.

October 31st, after the storm had issues with the phone line which needed BT to attend. The fault was resolved, line speed slowly recovered but settled on 50meg down and 15meg up. Never got any higher, and there it sat until.

December 2013, after yet another storm the line became faulty and my internet was resyncing every 1/2 hour or so. Call logged with BT, and whilst waiting for that to be fixed we had another bad windy spell and the line failed completely.

December 21st 2013, line finally fixed, they replaced more or less the entire cable run (4 engineers and a cherry picker) which took them 2 hours to complete. Internet now working again, but at just 16meg down and less than 5 up.

January 2014, call logged with BT as internet speed not recovering at all. They arranged for a "Speed Boost" engineer to look at the issue, after deciding all was OK the DLM was reset. After 2 weeks my internet was back at full speed, 77meg down and 18meg.

Februrary 2014, this latest weather has caused other issues with the line. All is fine when its windy and the internet remains connected, BUT over the last few days we have had gusty winds with hailstones. Each time one of these came through, the internet dropped and resync'd. Its done a resync three times today, twice yesterday, but was ok all day Friday as it was windy but no rain.

As a result DLM has kicked in again, and my speed has dropped back 15meg to just over 60meg. With even more of the same forecast over the next few weeks I am worried that I am going to lose even more speed.

What seems obvious is that water is being blown into something when its extremely windy and raining at the same time causing the line to resync. It can be raining all day, or windy and the line is fine, get both at the same time and the line resyncs.

Once we get through these storms, will DLM then increase the line speed again or will it decide that whatever speed I end up with is stable and keep that?

I really don't fancy having to go through the indian call centre again, last time I was speaking to someone for 90 minutes trying various things due to the call scripting before they agreed to the speed boost engineer.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: inifinity speed woes - resync issues

Looks like you are going to have to call them again. Report it as a telephone fault, crackling and noise on the line when it rains. Don't mention your broadband or they will just go on to script again. If they send out an engineer and he sorts the line where the water is getting in it will obviously improve your broadband.

0 Ratings
mannyo1221
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks

Starting to get really annoyed now with the whole problem. Managed to get another call logged, they closed it 36 hours later saying they had tested the line and no fault. Now after venting frustration calmly they re-opened it and passed it back to the engineering team, once again no fault found. I have lots of evidence from the HH4 logs that the line keeps failing as the internet disconnects and re-syncs everytime it rains and is windy. Since last week I have lost another 10meg of speed, yet nobody wants to see the log of faults. I have been copying and pasting the WAN logs from the HH4 since last week and its already pages and pages of disconnect and reconnect.

All the test BT have done, its been dry and not windy, we are expecting more wind and rain tomorrow. So I can look forward to yet slower internet, and being unable to stream anything on the internet as the line we be unreliable again. GRRRRR

its been 4 months since this line last worked properly, so for 50% of the time as a BT customer my line has been on and off.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Did you report it as a phone fault?

0 Ratings
mannyo1221
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Sorry for the delay, yes it was reported as a phone fault. Strangely despite no fault being apparently found my line has remained connected for more than 1 week now. I think someone has fixed something, as we have had bucket loads of rain with wind.

Now all I need is DLM to start training upwards again, if it ever does. Currently stuck at 50meg down instead of the 77 I had a few weeks ago.

0 Ratings