cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thambank
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

low internet speed on 5g compared to 2.4g wifi

has anyone a solution to this issue ? I have good internet speed with an N modem on 2.4 g but drops very low when using an AC modem on the 5g channels.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
thambank
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: low internet speed on 5g compared to 2.4g wifi

forgot to mention I have a BT hub5
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

The range of 5G wireless is much less than 2.4G. Over a certain distance the 5G signal will be much weaker and thus slower than 2.4G

0 Ratings
Calumh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

I had the same symptoms.  Using wi-fi analyser app on an android device (this will not work properly on an Apple device as it is more locked down) let me see that the 5GHz wireless was coming up and down permanently.  It was like a saw tooth pattern.  Definitely something wrong with the device.

i did a full device reset but that made no difference. Then I bought an archer c9 router and used it with a bit openreach modem and that was great for ages.

however, I subscribed to bt tv max including sport and ultra had sport.  The IPTV channels would not work with my archer c9 without a lot of configuration.  So went back to the HH5.

problem still exists, so I have split the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels in settings and disabled the 5GHz one.

Not ideal.  So I bought a hub 6.  Unfortunately the FTTC version of this does not have a wan port and my by master socke5 is in a useless place for siting the router.  So still stuck with the underperforming HH5!

Try wi-if analyser and see what you find.

cheers

Calum

0 Ratings
thambank
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

point taken  but the distance to the router is only a few feet so dont think its that

colin

0 Ratings
thambank
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

thanks calumh appreciate the detailed reply will try the analyser but suspect the HH5. Did you try BT on that ?

I have an amazon echo which seems to prefer the 5gig band but seems intermittent . I note it has now switched to 2.4g and seems fine. It was only when I started to look into this I found the low internet speed for the 5g band.

colin

0 Ratings
Mikegl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

This is quite a common fault and occurs on both the A and B versions of the HH5, and across different versions of the firmware.

I had this fault and searched various forums for a soloution, to no avail, several people had new routers sent to them but it made no difference. For me the fault would occur between a few hours to several days, after a router reset.

The only options are to replace the router, I have just upgraded to FTTC, and the HH6 doesn't have a problem with 5G, switch 5G off, or change the 5G channel every time the fault happens (this kicks it back into life and avoids having to reset the router and thus upsetting the DLM diety)

I think that this fault is under reported by users judging by the number of posts I have seen by others who have the exact same problem. A common theme seemed to be that the speed reduced by 90% when the fault happened almost as if it was being throttled.

If the router is not faulty then it must be a fairly narrow and unique set of circumstances that trigger the problem, and we are just the unlucky ones.

I tried the wi-fi analyzer, but I knew there were no problems as other routers I used had no issues.

Sorry this isn't a soloution, but it should save you wasting time chasing one.

0 Ratings
Calumh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Just realised that my mesage was ambiguous.  When I said 'definitely something wrong with the device' I meant that there was definitely somethinng wrong with the HH5...sorry!

Calum

0 Ratings
thambank
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Yes my conclusion also your HH6 working OK seem to prove it. Tried split and rename 5g bands in despair surprisingly saw a beter than 5g internet speed & signal strength however this did not last long it quickly went back to very low speed. I wonder if they can throttle it ? or is it just a poorly performing RF circuit design on this model HH5 B.

RGDS Colin

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

Could be a faulty hub but certainly not any wifi throttling

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings