cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikegl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 23

Re: low internet speed on 5g compared to 2.4g wifi

Throttling is just my left field theory.

I'll try and paint a scenario where this could happen.

If the user is busy watching the footie on his youview box and several people climb on to the FON hotspot, I would assume that there must be a way to prioritize the users traffic over the hotspot traffic, and rather than drop their connections the elegant soloution would be to throttle them.

All BT hubs come with the FON software built in, you can opt out, but the code still exisits on the hub. If this code is faulty the possiblity exisits for random events where the users 5G connection ends up being slowed down.

I'll get my coat!

Mike

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 23

there would be no reduction on the home wfi connection and if you were maxing out your connection speeed then anyone trying to use BTFON/BTWIFI would drop connection  priority is given to the home wifi connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 23

@Mikegl wrote:

Throttling is just my left field theory.

I'll try and paint a scenario where this could happen.

If the user is busy watching the footie on his youview box and several people climb on to the FON hotspot, I would assume that there must be a way to prioritize the users traffic over the hotspot traffic, and rather than drop their connections the elegant soloution would be to throttle them.

All BT hubs come with the FON software built in, you can opt out, but the code still exisits on the hub. If this code is faulty the possiblity exisits for random events where the users 5G connection ends up being slowed down.

I'll get my coat!

Mike

Traffic is prioritised for the user rather than BTwifi , but I suspect it is done at the network level rather than by wifi.

0 Ratings
Mikegl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Back to the drawing board then😀

0 Ratings
Mikegl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 23

Then again, just read this.

There are several layers were they can control how much damage is done to your connection speed. I cannot say which of these are in use, but you can be assured at least a few of them apply:

For outgoing data, the router can assign different queuing disciplines for each of the private and public interfaces, with unique policies applying to each. For example, the FON interface may have a maximum bandwidth cap configured, or the private interface may always take priority if any data is enqueued

IIRC the FON is wrapped up in a VPN connection that would be identifiable on the wire. For the incoming direction, flow markers indicating traffic is relating to this VPN can be de-prioritized, so that it is buffered in such a way that non-VPN traffic will push VPN traffic off the end of the queue (i.e. drop it, which causes higher protocol layers on the FON side to backoff (i.e. slow down) when the private conncetion is in use)

Down lower in the protocol layers, it's possible the modem is establishing multiple logical ATM links into BT, with a private link that is used exclusively for the household and a smaller, separate FON link that handles overspill when the queue for the house link is filling. ATM, one of the lower layer protocols used in DSL, was expressly designed for guaranteeing quality of service. It's used extensively in telco networks to guarantee e.g. enough bandwidth is available at a precise time to carry a packetized voice call without interruption, and is the primary reason why to this day using a landline talking to your nan never suffers from the kind of interference or delay you might experience on e.g. mobile, despite both networks following an otherwise comparable architecture

Due to the design of contemporary networking hardware, there are often buffers and queues hidden out of sight and control (for example, it's very common that wifi chipsets and chipset drivers have huge retransmit queues that don't expire for >10 seconds that the OS (or BT engineer) has little to no control over), and it's very possible that use of FON will increase the latency of your connection in at least one direction while someone is using it.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 23

As I said your home network gets priority over BTFON/BTWIFI   You could always check the hub wifi for connected devices and see if there is anyone connecting to BTFON/BTWIF. IP address should start with 10.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 23

Interesting. I did say 'suspect' it is done at the network layer. You could be on to something.

Infinity uses PTM rather than ATM btw, but I guess the principle would remain.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 23

@imjolly wrote:

As I said your home network gets priority over BTFON/BTWIFI   You could always check the hub wifi for connected devices and see if there is anyone connecting to BTFON/BTWIF. IP address should start with 10.

Yes, we both appreciate that. We are just trying to determine how that is achieved and what could go wrong if it is achieved in the wifi layer.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 23

I appreciate that but point is mute if there is no connections being made to 5ghz with op starting with 10. BTFON/BTWIFI. Bearing in mind the 5ghz does not travel far

0 Ratings
Mikegl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 23

This fault happened to me with BT WiFi switched off, I was just trying to think of something that could possibly trigger the fault.

The implications, of this fault for the average user, are quite significant. Most people now connect to the internet via WiFi and they would equate slow WiFi with a slow connection, very few of them would be able to work out that the 5g signal is the problem. If these users contact the help desk they will be told that BT don't guarantee WiFi speeds, but maybe asked to reboot their hub, and like magic their WiFi speed will be back to normal.

Now the fun starts!

The X factor begins, with X being The MTBF

If X is measured in weeks then a reboot isn't an issue, however if X is a few days or hours then you have a serious issue.

The user starts rebooting the hub every few days and triggers intervention from DLM, the reboot fixes their WiFi issue but will eventually drop their sync rate to next to nothing.

The user then contacts the help desk to complain about a slow connection, which it now is, and should then be told to stop rebooting the hub and allow DLM to get the sync rate back up.

Now what does the user do?

If they're lucky they will be shown how to split the SSID's and will probably only connect to the 2.4g because they won't change their settings on their phones or Tablets.

If they're unlucky they will not get this advice and will end up with a consistently degraded WiFi connection.

0 Ratings