Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neilw1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

low ping, high bandwidth but network lag and connection issues

Hello,

For the past few months, wireless in my house has been rubbish with disconnects, DSN failures, etc.

Wired network is more robust with regard being connected and streaming works most of the time wired or wireless.

However my issue is with anything real time (i.e. games and skype) is a complete lag fest with constant disconnects, slowdowns and network errors. It's at the point where nobody can play a game due to lag issues causing 'rubber banding', network errors, etc. On skype I get red network errors, disconnects after a few minutes, etc.

This is on any device in the house, wired or wireless.

I have tried different wireless channels, tried a different router (both hub 5), tried disconnecting everything bar one device on cable and it's the same. There is little contention in the wifi channels as well.

When I run a speed test it says 40mbps and games show a low ping.

any help would be appreciated as BT (well, the call centre in India that I've spoken to twice now) are useless and say they did a test and my line is fine and I should maybe pay one of BTs 'experts'.

any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: low ping, high bandwidth but network lag and connection issues

Hi @neilw1,

Would you be able to run a speed test using the link http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ as well as a tracert to BBC?

This will help to give an indication of how your connection is preforming and where the slow down is occurring. Please make sure to run those test using a wired connection.

If you using the Home Hub 5, please can you go into the Hub manager and post the router stats. The can be found by going to troubleshooting and then helpdesk, post back the information from 1 - 12.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
neilw1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: low ping, high bandwidth but network lag and connection issues

Hello,

As I've said, speed test is fine (that site is where i ran) and ping is fine, as is MTU on devices.

The issue is when real time data (e.g. skype, gaming, etc) is required it's next to a complete disaster. And I've tried connecting directly into the hub.

Streaming is fine most of the time as everything is buffered.

I believe the problem is quality of data and packet loss. Not helped by the fact that the home hub 5 does not support packet fragmentation.

0 Ratings