cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 37

my broadband speeds are much lower than my neighbours- how do I ask BT or Openreach to test the line

Go to solution

Hello, I switched to BT recently.

What can I do to ask for a connection that is a similar speed to my neighbours? I think that the problem may be the cables that were in my crumbling house until I replaced them. They were replaced by BT and a new master socked connected about 18 months ago. I feel that the speed on the BT openreach website was the speed limited by the quality of my old cables.

How can get BT to update the broadband speeds that are available to my house... or am I out of luck?

My broadband speeds are much lower than my neighbours which I have tested at their homes. I also switched to BT on the basis of their connections and I have seen my speed drop from the provider that I was with before. I expected that speeds would be increased and the line tested during the initial 10 days but they past a while ago and the speed hasn't changed.

When I switched to BT, I wasn't offered fibre 2 (which is what my neighbours are on) and the fibre 1 package has a minimum speed of 25Mbps (which I am way above). Looking around, I don't seem to qualify for a faster package as the low speed is listed as the fastest available on the BT checking website. The speed that is delivered is the speed that is listed in on the BT Broadband Availability Checker (https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/).

My house has a downstream line listing of high 55.2Mbps low 38.1Mbps and 37Mbps is delivered.

My neighbours house that is semi-detached (attached!) has a listing of high 73.6, low 51.1 and 70+ is delivered.

My other neighbours house that is fed from the same telegraph pole and the wire runs past my house has a listing of high 78.5, low 55 and 75 delivered.

Thanks for any advice and help.

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 37

Re: my broadband speeds are much lower than my neighbours- how do I ask BT or Openreach to test the

Go to solution

I think that I am out of luck.

An engineer from Openreach came to my house and said that I was in a 40Mbps upload and 10Mbps download connection at the cabinet. So there isn't a faster speed from BT for me because the maximum speed of the connection that I have been given. This  matches BT's estimates of my line despite recommending Fibre 1 (and my neighbours on Fibre 2).

Now, I doubt Vodafone will give me a faster speed (again) because my line is recommended for a 40Mbps upload and 10Mbps download.

It seems that nothing can be done. I am very disappointed and going to switch back to Vodafone because I am just upset by it all and it is cheaper.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 37

Re: my broadband speeds are much lower than my neighbours- how do I ask BT or Openreach to test the

Go to solution

Changing provider will not change the connection to the cabinet, it will be the same pair of wires.

Also, if the cabinet is full, you will not get a fast broadband connection.

In addition to that, you will pay high cancellation charges for terminating your contract early.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution

Thank you for your explanation.

I am definitely out of luck.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution

Is it possible that you are connected to a different cabinet to your neighbours. Even if you are all connected to same pole it still can be different cabinets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

It is unlikely because the cabinet is less than 100m up the road and the BT Broadband Checker website lists us all on the same numbered cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

your neighbours connection speed suggest they are connected to a cab 100/150m away but your stats suggest a cab much further away

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution

@internetnavigatorwrote:

An engineer from Openreach came to my house and said that I was in a 40Mbps upload and 10Mbps download connection at the cabinet. So there isn't a faster speed from BT for me because the maximum speed of the connection that I have been given. This  matches BT's estimates of my line despite recommending Fibre 1 (and my neighbours on Fibre 2).

I may be old and perhaps haven't quite grasped it BUT, surely if you are on Fibre 1 and your neighbours are on Fibre 2, then they will definitely have a "faster" connection that yourself.

Fibre 1 averages around 50mbs, while Fibre 2 averages around 67mbs.

The fact that one of your neighbours is able to receive in excess of 70mbs means the three households must be pretty close to the cabinet.

Personally, I don't think you would notice the difference between Fibres 1 and 2 as both are adequate for any household.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

Yes. It's a shame the scores are so different. The Open Reach engineer said that I was in the cabinet on my road.

I can't seem to get anyone to check or change it.

I've filled in a form to get Open Reach to 'tell me if I can get Fibre.' I didn't have much luck with their online chat. Open reach said I should speak to BT if I have a problem with my speed.

BT call centre checked with another team but said I needed to speak to open reach.

Thanks for replying 😞 I am very close to giving up and there are worse things happening at the moment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number but leave exchange and cab

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL