cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vipermo
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

openreach engineer and ethernet cable

Hi guys got a openreach engineer coming out to move my hh3 and modem near to my bt vision box in the living room only thing is the main pc is up stairs. So my qustion is do the make u up a ethernet cable  to a good size to put in my pc up stairs.?

thanks..

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: openreach engineer and ethernet cable

They will fit the hub and modem in one place. They dont make ethernet cables. You will have to provide your own cable if you want to connect something else to it. BT should have just sent you a set of homeplugs which would be more convenient.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

The question that should be asked is where is your master socket? Because thats where the modem and homehub should be. Also better to use homeplugs rather than use a ethernet cable running upstairs.

0 Ratings
vipermo
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

The master socket is in the bedroom when i had infinty fitted they moved it to bedroom.yeah my only thing with home plugs is will they suport the speeds im getting now 75meg with a ethernet cable

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

@vipermo wrote:

The master socket is in the bedroom when i had infinty fitted they moved it to bedroom.yeah my only thing with home plugs is will they suport the speeds im getting now 75meg with a ethernet cable

Where was the master socket before you had infinity installed? Also yes homeplugs will support your 75meg connection, just make sure you get the 500meg ones.

0 Ratings
vipermo
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Was in the hallway to the front of the house so it should be OK to move it back right?. Also am I right in thinking that they run a cable from there up to 30 meters.to the hh3 and modem ? If so that will be very handy.
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

@vipermo wrote:
Was in the hallway to the front of the house so it should be OK to move it back right?. Also am I right in thinking that they run a cable from there up to 30 meters.to the hh3 and modem ? If so that will be very handy.

To be honest you should get a better connection from the original master socket, and from that you want the modem and hh3 to be as close as they can to it.

0 Ratings
zagnome
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

@vipermo wrote:

Sounds like the Data ExtensionKit. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37163/346

0 Ratings
Highlighted
vipermo
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

That looks like it thank you all for all your help 

0 Ratings