I have had issues with broadband for a couple of days, strangely mostly affecting upload (download normally around 70 and is currently 64 but upload that is normally around 11 is currently at 0.2!), and noticed there is noise on the line. I tried the test socket with a filter and realised while checking things that the noise is only present when I connect the smarthub.
It is the same in the test socket with a filter, and with the faceplate attached. Without the smarthub no noise at all as soon as I plug it in the noise starts. I am now not sure what to report this as, phone fault (even though that side appears perfect) or broadband fault, even though it is possibly caused by noise on the line. And why is it mostly affecting upload?
Just wanted some advice on the best way to get it fixed (what to report etc). Stats below just in case.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Line fault and let the engineer take it from there. The hub should not cause noise on the line so you must start there.
Line faults can present problems to either upload, downloads or both. The line engineer will have to find where the ingress of noise is emanating. Don't give them any clues. Let him use his diagnostic tools otherwise you'll just prolong the issue.
I have reported and got an engineer visit, hopefully this will sort it.
Just out of curiosity, I did it using online chat and they said "or our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property (by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp), it’ll cost £129.99."
Is the corrosion or damp part true? I thought everything past the test socket was BT side, do I have to maintain the wire going directly to the copper pair myself? I didnt think I should be messing with that. If not then surely natural corrosion etc is not my fault. I fully accept if it is my equipment, internal wiring, damage caused by trees on my property or builing work I have done I should pay but I wasnt expecting to have to pay for this.
Took the engineer around 3 hours and is now sorted. Turned out to be an underground fault, so been swapped onto another line.
Speeds already jumped up to close to normal, now stook at around 60Mb though so slightly slower. Hopefully it will increase over the coming days.
One strange note, he took my MK2 faceplate for some reason - I would say he replaced it but he very clearly said he was putting my faceplate back on, picked it up, then supposedly attached it. Now he has left I see it is the new MK3 he had on the floor still wrapped when he arrived. I dont care that much, but feel slightly strange that he seemed to want me to think he was putting mine back on.
Thank you for posting back. I'm glad to hear the engineer was able to identify and fix the issue. As long as the connection remains stable you'll see your speeds return to normal.