Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianm1309
Contributor
Message 301 of 366

Re: planning to get myself an unlocked openreach modem

@ray_dorset wrote:
Say hello to your fellow beta testers...

Well said, Ray.

Just a note of caution. I too have been trawling a well-known auction site looking for a HG612/3B, and there are quite a lot on sale, both locked and unlocked, but I've noticed a few anomalies in the adverts. Some show the same photos even though they're advertised by different sellers in different parts of the UK. In a couple of cases, the giveaway is the fact the view of the underside label (presumably to prove it's really a 3B) has the exact same s/n and mac address. In one case the headline for the item states 3B but the label shows type 2B.

Not saying there's anything underhand going on, could just be using generic photos, but always worth double-checking before purchase.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 302 of 366

Found a great new command to find out about the green street box for the unlocked eci/r after my now usual Sunday afternoon play around..

"list rg" 

Spilled out 

G994VendorID=IFTNU SystemVendorID=IFTN

A quick google via Kitz  showes IFTN is ECI 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jo_Seph_B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 303 of 366

Fixed the homehub 5??

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/24/bt_takes_a_whole_year_to_fix_home_hub_5_glitch/

Tempted to plug it in and test.

Distinguished Guru
Message 304 of 366

Has your Homehub received the fix though?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Jo_Seph_B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 305 of 366

Don't dare remove the OpenReach Modem at the moment.  MIght try it for a week and see what happens.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 306 of 366

I wouldn't risk it with the hh5 as just an all in one - I think the fix is directed towards power saving /wifi , so I believe the "normal" hh5 disconnection mischief is still there.

The unlocked modem will allow all the updates through to the hh5 (if let them?) with no risk of the line being knocked off. 🙂

If curiosity does getter the better , switch the modem off & then let an hour or so pass before reconnecting the hh5 modem wire. 

With the hour's gap the dreaded dlm should ignore the disconnect according to the more knowledgeable people over on kitz....

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 307 of 366

Well had a first loss of sync in ages with the unlocked ECI/r.

Some work was being done at the street box and it seems the whole street got booted off after asking next door.

Went through the usual stats and somethings changed 🙂

That "list rg" command now spills out: 

G994VendorID=IFTNT SystemVendorID=XECIL

From Sundays Post Before the loss of sync  "list rg"  Spilled out :

G994VendorID=IFTNU SystemVendorID=IFTN

Speeds gone up a bit as well....

I wondering if the street box has new parts or has been upgraded?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 308 of 366

As you may know, they're upgrading for G.Inp currently.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
nil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 309 of 366

Hi

Just to chip in with my experiences:

I'm on a long line (2.9km from a Huawei cabinet).  BT Home Hub 5 would not connect at all.  Test kit the Openreach chap had would not connect at all.  Draytek Vigor 2860n connected at 1100kbps, but only when the wind was blowing in the right direction and would always lose sync for many hours overnight.

Got an HG612 3B from that online tat bazaar, peeled off the sticker covering the forbidden LAN2 port and performed the magic incantations with the unlocked firmware, and it's now synched at 2000kbps.  In fact I've had exactly 2000kbps on each resync while testing, but the max attainable rate is between 3100 and 3500kbps, SNR is 7.3-8.3dB, so I'm hoping it'll eventually sync higher once DLM forgives me.  Didn't waver as night fell - in fact even though it's only been on 12 hours, this is the longest continual sync I've had, and 70% faster than it ever was.

Best £15 spent in a long time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 310 of 366

There's a chance the Broadcom chipset in the HG612 v3B matches the chipset in the cab or it handles the attenuation better. The HH5A and Draytek don't use Broadcom.
If not, I'll try again 🙂