cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidgreig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 366

Re: planning to get myself an unlocked openreach modem

I've heard lots of nightmare stories about HH5 especially this constant reboot issue. I am seriously considering getting a separate openreach modem.

Are there any recommendations on choosing between the HG612 or the ECI version? As far as I know I'm on an ECI cabinet but not sure that this makes the same difference that I believe it used to in terms of performance / sync speed etc.
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 92 of 366

Hi David -

Posted this on another HH5 thread but may be helpful ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highly recommend using an unlocked Openreach modem and separate router (non-bt)

Doesn't have to be fancy -I just use an old Linksys  its been great. 

I've used both the unlocked eci/r & the hg612 3b.

The eci/r is the quickest of the 2 on my line and the line was very stable with low errors.

The downside its a little more  technically in-depth. It was a little over my head at first but I got there in the end.

The main reason for the eci/r was to pair it to the street cabinet to calm the line back down quicky after all the problems the HH5 caused. [ Which it did].

One the line has been rock soild for a few weeks I switched to the unlocked HG612 3B -{the version with all BT-software removed}

So far The HG612 3B is excellent its very easy to use and works well with other software and at the moment my line is still fast mode with no disconnects all week. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back with on the ECI/r at the moment and the line is still stable.

The ECI/r is slighty quicker - not by much and runns a little cooler than the HG612-3B.

I'm just about getting the hang of typing commands into the ECI/r. (I'm enjoy learning something new)

It was a bit of a steep learning curve for me with typing commands ect.

Thats were the HG612 3B wins hands down. Its far more user friendly for a novice like me to start off with.

davidgreig
Aspiring Contributor
Message 93 of 366

@Barry57

Cheers for copying in your response in another thread. Very interesting read. Both models seem to be readily available from a well known auction site. I think I will plump for an ECI/r to match on my cabinet and see how this goes. I can always get a HG612 later if required.

It baffles me how BT can release something that impacts so many people trying to use BT's headline product but at least there's a solution!
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 94 of 366

Yes got mine from that well know site 😉

We've had very heavy rain & thunder over the past week and the line is still rock soild.

Very little errors and still in Fast mode.

Recommend both types.

Hg612 -3B ease of use -

ECI/r - runs cool gives very -very low error rates.

0 Ratings
AJWard
Contributor
Message 95 of 366

Agree with everything posted.

Switching to a 3B gave me a solid connection (2 weeks uptime and counting) - my Hub 5 was rebooting all the time with the usual PPP errors. The cat with the fibre supplied mine from an auction site.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 96 of 366

Seems to be a few more "HH5 disconnecting" threads poping up.

Pleased to report - no such issues - coming upto 3 weeks uptime and the unlocked eci/r is still running cool and fast 🙂

0 Ratings
psp888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 97 of 366

a bit confused, so which modem is the best one to get?  and can I use it with the HH5 as just a router?  Will the HH5 still reboot?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 98 of 366

Hipsp888

If you new to unlocked openreach modems - then an unlocked HG612 3B would be an excellent choice.

{Make sure its the 3B version with all the BT sofware removed.}

Its easy to use and works great other software {Make sure its the version with all the BT sofware removed.

Not sure on the home hub 5 rebooting.

I belive even if it does reboot/update it wont affect your line as the unlocked modem is taking care of that side of things.

I can definitely say my unlocked HG612 -3B has been rock soilded  - with no update or any other shenanigans -  {As AJWard highlights}

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 99 of 366

The ECI / r has also been rock soild the past few weeks.

No updates or other disconnects - and its run very cool in the warm weather.

Might swiich over to the HG612 3B this weeked as the line sat sofware has been upgraded so it it will be good to see how it works.

0 Ratings
AJWard
Contributor
Message 100 of 366

Having spent the first four months of this year monitoring my disconnecting HH5 powered Infinity connection, it's a pleasure to only check my unlocked HG612 3B powered connection every other week or so.

Just approaching 47 days worth of solid connection at near perfect sync speed. Fastest attainable speed is 26.19 megs download, and the Openreach modem is giving me 25.19 download.

It's really clear - if the Engineers have checked and re-checked your line, and any errors have been sorted, and you're on your third HH5 - then it's worth trying an unlocked Openreach modem instead. It will save a lot of faffing around.

After all, a solid and reliable connection is all everyone here wants - and this is one way of achieving it.