cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kenny
Aspiring Expert
Message 71 of 366

Re: planning to get myself an unlocked openreach modem

I've been running a zyxel SBG3300 modem/router for over a few months, only drops i've had is when infinity goes down in my area. it's not cheap at around the £160 mark but I'm think it it was worth paying 

kenny

0 Ratings
runamonk
Contributor
Message 72 of 366

Since switching to an Open Reach modem instead of an HH5 I've not had single disconnect. The modem in the HH5 is either garbage or the software was written by chimps. Either way it's garbage.

System up time18 days 18 hours 56 minutes 30 seconds

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 73 of 366

@ Ryan2595 🙂

Posted this on another HH5 thread but may be helpful ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highly recommend using an unlocked Openreach modem and separate router (non-bt)

Doesn't have to be fancy -I just use an old Linksys with something called Tomato on it and its been great. 

I've used both the unlocked eci/r & the hg612 3b.

The eci/r is the quickest of the 2 on my line and the line was very stable with low errors.

The downside its a little more in-depth technically in-depth. It was a little over my head at first but I got there in the end.

The main reason for the eci/r was to was to calm the line back down quicky after all the problems the HH5 caused. Which it did.

One the line has been rock soild for a few weeks I switched to the unlocked HG612 3B -{the version with all BT-software removed}

So far The HG612 3B is excellent its very easy to use and works well with other software and at the moment my line is still fast mode with no disconnects all week. 

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 74 of 366

if using unlocked, make sure you get the right firmware as one will allow BT to update it, so it is relocked

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 75 of 366

Great point walkerx 🙂

Yes make sure its the ones with no bt software.  (Forgot to mention that :oops:  )

My HG612 3B, is the one with out any bt stuff and its not rebooted or tried to update once.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 76 of 366

Been doing a bit of reaseach and I don't think the ECI/r suffers from the same up date lock out risk.

Might swap the back to the ECI/r this long weekend just to see how line is comparison as its been coming upto a month with the HG612 3B.

Hopfully I understand how to work the ECI/r a bit better now.

0 Ratings
Message 77 of 366

System up time: 8 days 1 hours 41 minutes 59 seconds Smiley Happy

My attainable rate is 33424 while my downstream is still stuck at 25795. When would be the best time, and the best method, for rebooting to see if I can get it to go up a bit?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 78 of 366

What's the noise margin?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Message 79 of 366

DownstreamUpstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s)334245487
SNR margin (dB)6.16
Line attenuation (dB)00
Output power (dBmV)11.46.4
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 80 of 366

I try for a reset at night time when the snr is naturally lower so it gives a more stable line,

On a side note just been reading how much BTOR charge for a replacement normal locked openreach modem (cpe) and its over £150 + vat :shock:

No wonder BT retail say the HH5 is perfecly fine with no know issues ....

0 Ratings