Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pfd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

probably a daft infinity 1 vs 2 question

hello,

our exchange has just been upgraded for infinity and i can order an upgrade from old broadband on the website now. my existing connection should be around 6-7mb but i've never seen it above 4 to be honest. 

the website will let me choose infinity 2 with upto 76mb speed but when i clicked through to the order, it said i should expect 26-35mb. that made me suspicious and so i came here. i've run the adsl line checker and it gives me this:

broadband.JPG

that suggests i can never go over 35mb so is there any point in ordering infinity 2 and if not why do they offer it? i assume i should just order infinity 1 and save £5 a month (but pay £30 intallation).

the box has only just been upgraded (literally in the last 2 weeks, i saw the vans). are they likely to offer higher speeds in the future and if they do, do they allow you to upgrade from 1 to 2 in the first 18 months?

thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Barry57
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: probably a daft infinity 1 vs 2 question

Not daft at all ... {should see some of my Q's oops}

Infinity 1 is the one to choose with those line details---- Infinity 2 would be a waste of ££

🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

You are correct with your assumption. If you order infinity you will only get a speed somewhere between 15Mbps and 35Mbps depending on what Range of line you have. Unfortunately you will not know what Range your line is until you have been connected.

You would not be able to get the top speed for Infinty 1 which is 38Mbps so it would be pointless and a waste of money for you to order infinity 2. 

It is unlikely that you will see any substantial speed increases any time soon but if you do you could upgrade from Infinity 1 to Infinity 2 at any time you want to.

0 Ratings
pfd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

thanks for the confirmation. i've gone with infinity 1. the website booked an engineer visit. is this normal for an infinity 1 install? i thought they just fiddled with the cabinet connections?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

you may well find that as infity 1 thgat it turns out to be self install and the date given is the activation date  you should receive your hub and filters in the post before activation date

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

they do send engineers if there may be set up problems just to get the best possible speed
0 Ratings
pfd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

i think i have a very old copper connection (thick black pair rather than a modern twisted pair). is this liekly to make a difference and would it need replacing? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

all you can do is wait and see if an engineer turns up
0 Ratings
pfd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Well, the (Kelly) engineer replaced the faceplate and switched us on. I get around 21Mb on day 1. Is this likely to change much and should I be cycling the router at all or leaving it alone? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

just let it settle with no manual resets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings