cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matg
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

"Coming Soon" - How Long is that?

My Excahnge/Cabine is now down as coming soon but how long does that usually take. According to the Connecting Cambridgeshire website it could still be another 6 months!

http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/parish/papworth-everard/

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 23

Re: "Coming Soon" - How Long is that?

Hi matg

The PAPWORTH ST AGNES exchange is being fibre upgraded  (FTTC) under the Connecting Cambridgeshire BDUK programme.

Upgrading an exchange area with fibre isn't an easy task, therefore the rollout of fibre broadband within the selected exchange area will be gradual and progress over time.

According to the Connecting Cambridgeshire BDUK website, the exchange area started to be fibre upgraded and PCPs (Cabinets) being installed and connected to FTTC DSLAM cabinets from February 2014 and will continue through to September 2014.

You can view the PCPs that have been upgraded with a Dslam cabinet under this programme by going to http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/getting-superfast/livecabinets/

You can talk to your local Connecting Cambridgeshire Broadband Champion for more information, or talk to your MP.

Also please be aware that there may be a small percentages of PCPs/areas within the region that may not be in scope of this BDUK programme.

*The Commercial Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs. The BDUK fibre broadband schemes are managed by Openreach along with your local authority.BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 3 of 23

Hi matg,

Recent information suggests that the Papworth exchange will not be upgraded to Fibre but that the fibre to certain cabinets in the Papworths will come from St. Ives.

Please don't take this as gospel, check it out with your Champion or contact@connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk .

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
matg
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Thanks both.

dfenceman, how do you know this, seems along way to take the fibre rather than from the Papworth Exchange, would it make any difference to the speed?

As far as I can tell there are 3 green boxes in Papworth Everard, one of them now has a newer larger green cabinet about 6 feet away from it. Does that means just that new cabinet is ready for fibre or does the new cabinet then connect to the older cabinets as my closest cabinet is one of the older green ones on its own.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 23

Hi again matg,

Each PCP (cabinet) will need to be installed and connected to FTTC DSLAM cabinet, for example at the moment it looks like PCP 1 which is located Ermine street north has been installed with a FTTC DSLAM cab.

Each PCP (which looks like there are three PCPs in Papworth Everard) will need to have a FTTC Dslam cab installed and connected to the PCP.

As Dfenceman has pointed out, how the fibre gets to the DSLAM cabinets (eg from your local exchange or from another exchange) can vary depending on technical and geographical aspects of the deployment.

You can check which cabinet you are connected to by going to http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl and entering your landline number (if you have a BT Wholesale reconisable tel num), If you don't have a reconisabe number then try your address via http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

You should then see somethig like this : Telephone Number 012345678.. on Exchange PAPWORTH ST AGNES is served by Cabinet 1

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 6 of 23

@matg wrote:

Thanks both.

dfenceman, how do you know this, seems along way to take the fibre rather than from the Papworth Exchange, would it make any difference to the speed?

As far as I can tell there are 3 green boxes in Papworth Everard, one of them now has a newer larger green cabinet about 6 feet away from it. Does that means just that new cabinet is ready for fibre or does the new cabinet then connect to the older cabinets as my closest cabinet is one of the older green ones on its own. 

Hi matg,

I am the Brodband Champion for Great Staughton and we have a group that shares information for a lot of areas/parishes in Cambridgeshire, although not every area has an active BC or one at all.  The Papworths have 3, although only one seems active.

There was a flurry of emails last week about the 3 cabinets in the Papworths.  Unfortunately I did not save them, space does not allow me to keep everything so I have to be selective.  Use the link jac_95 gave you to find out which of the 3 cabinets you are connected to.

I have emailed your champion for more information and will let you know when he responds

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 7 of 23

@jac_95 wrote:

Hi again @matg,

for example at the moment it looks like PCP 1 which is located Ermine street north has been installed with a FTTC DSLAM cab. 

Hi jac_95,

Where did you get that info from please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 23

Hi dfenceman,

PM sent to you 🙂

Try a Search
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 9 of 23

Hi matg,

I have not heard back from your BC yet.  But you may be interested to know :-

I believe there are more than 3 cabinets in Papworth Everard.

Cabinets 1 & 4, the top and bottom ones on CC's map http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/getting-superfast/livecabinets/ both have fibre cabinets installed awaiting connection.

The middle one on the map I do not have a cabinet number for and it does not appear to have a fibre cabinet yet.

If you enter your phone number here https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html it will tell you what cabinet number you are connected to.

I hope that helps you but please come back if you have any more questions.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
matg
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Hi

I'm connected to:

Exchange PAPWORTH ST AGNES is served by Cabinet 5. Do you know the location of this cabinet?

On the Connecting Cambs map there are 3 cabinets makred. The CHEQUERS LANE JCN ERMINE STREET NORTH is an old style cabinet which as the crow flies and by road is my closest.

I have noticed the other two marked on the map, 16 ERMINE STREET and OPP 1 SOUTH PARK DRIVE are now newer style cabinets, which are probably 1 & 4 so where are 2,3 and 5? and why are only 3 marked on the map?

I assume the CHEQUERS LANE JCN ERMINE STREET NORTH needs to be upgraded for fibre before I can get it assuming its is cabinet 5.

Thanks

0 Ratings