cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brecklands
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

"Computer says no" despite local Openreach engineers saying yes.

Hi everyone,

I live in a rural part of the Orkney Islands and am presently connected to a cabinet called Finstown 1 about 10km away. In 2017/8 a new fibre cabinet called Finstown 3 was installed 1.2km from my house as part of the fibre rollout programme. All my neighbours, some of whom were farther away than me, were connected to the new cabinet and have been enjoying fast broadband ever since. I on the other hand was not connected for whatever reason. This is a small community and I spoke to a couple of local Openreach engineers I have known for years and they assure me that there is capacity in the cabinet and no reason why I shouldn't be connected to it. I have explained my situation in great detail via the official email enquiry system and been informed that there is no fibre in my postcode KW172EZ despite the fact that a new fibre cabinet is 1.2km from my house. The level of incompetence within Openreach since "Centralisation " is beyond belief.  Where do I go from here?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: "Computer says no" despite local Openreach engineers saying yes.

Welcome to this user forum. @Brecklands 

There is nothing you can do.

See https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/help-support/when-can-i-get-fibre-faqs

"There's another cabinet near me that's already accepting orders. Can I get fibre broadband from there instead?"

"Unfortunately not. We can’t move a line that’s already connected to a home or business from one cabinet to another."

Even if you could get connected, the speed would be poor at that distance.

FTTC speed graph.gif

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 5

0 Ratings
Brecklands
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Hi, no haven't tried HIE so will send them a copy of the email I have just sent to Liam McArthur , my MSP.  Surely someone can get some sense out of Openreach.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

It’s nothing to do with ‘Capacity’ but rather whether your line was planned to be routed through the new PCP.