cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sambob
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

"ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Unsupported protocol" when trying to access Social Media sites

Go to solution

@Matt-S  I'm really having an ongoing nightmare with my internet connection and I'm getting the same issue again "You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later." when trying to reply to your message received yesterday, Please can you take the spam thing off again??

My message below...

Good morning Matt,

Thank you for your email. I have raised two complaints with BT about the automatic updates and lack of communication which have caused me issues.

I have noticed a new issue yesterday which was not there before. When trying to play any video within the Facebook app from any device connected to WiFi it wont play the video. I have tried this on multiple devices (IOS or Android) and it's the same. If I turn off WiFi on my device and use 4G the videos work no problem.

Also, I cannot access facebook.com or instagram.com from any browser on PC or mobile device through my internet connection.. I get the following errors: (If I disconnect from my internet connection and use 4G it works fine)

Firefox:
An error occurred during a connection to en-gb.facebook.com. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

Opera:
www.facebook.com uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Unsupported protocol The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

Chrome:
This site can’t provide a secure connection
en-gb.facebook.com uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

The only thing I changed myself yesterday is to turn parental controls on, but the filter was set to light, which should not affect social media. I have turned this off and am still having the same problem.

Seems like I'm have never ending problems with my BT connection since renewal Matt. I think I would like to consider my options in looking at moving to another ISP as I really cannot afford to be spending all this time with constant issues.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Sam

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 2 of 32

Re: "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Unsupported protocol" when trying to access Social

Go to solution

Hi Sam

Sorry to read your issue. As it’s happening on all devices I wonder if this is worth a try.

turn off router and modem if you have one, wait 15mins then restart and try again. It might be a little hiccup in the router software and a reboot helps but let the power drain.

0 Ratings
Sambob
Contributor
Message 3 of 32

Re: "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Unsupported protocol" when trying to access Social

Go to solution

@Stu_H I've tried turning the router off (unplug power), letting power drain and plugging it back in again but the issue is still there. BT have been working on my line to try to resolve some latency issues, and also the router recently automatically updated itself, so I wonder if something has been broken on their end for my connection, causing this.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

You don’t happen to have any type of antivirus BT software running on BT side ie similar to bitdefender/armour?

0 Ratings
Sambob
Contributor
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

No. And this is not a problem with my devices or any software installed on them. Neither do I have any BT broadband security enabled on their end. Nothing has changed on my devices since a day or 2 ago when it was all working fine. This is a problem with BT. I can prove this as when I go through 4G on my devices I am able to access these websites no problem.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

I was wondering if you had I think it’s called net protect.

lets hope you have some luck with BT. 

0 Ratings
Sambob
Contributor
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution

I think you mean web protect, and no that isn't and never has been turned on.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution

Just double check on your account it’s not turned on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sambob
Contributor
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution

Yes, I did.

Sambob
Contributor
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

I also cannot connect to discord or steam via my internet connection. Something is royally screwed on BT's end.

0 Ratings