cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 11 of 32

Re: "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Unsupported protocol" when trying to access Social

Go to solution

Does sound like it. 

I would be on the phone to be honest and see what they say. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 12 of 32

Re: "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Unsupported protocol" when trying to access Social

Go to solution

@Stu_H wrote:

Does sound like it. 

I would be on the phone to be honest and see what they say. 

I doubt he'd get very far with CS on the phone and as he's already dealing with a mod...

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution

True, that does not surprise me to be honest. 

hopefully the thread is updated when it’s sorted as it helps others to locate faults through searches.

0 Ratings
Sambob
Contributor
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution

Well, phoning them was a waste of time. After 35 mins on the phone, they don't know what is causing it and have told me to refer back to the mods. I've already messaged the mods but haven't had any reply. I don't even know if the mod I'm dealing with is working today. I'm so stressed and fed up with these BT issues now, it's unbelievable.

Stu_H
Contributor
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution

It’s never easy.

when I switched from dial up to infinity and the contract kicked it I had 9 months of hassle. Took that time to get me on infinity due to a simple cabinet relocation due to a complaint by a local resident and only near the end did I find out through an engineer who visited me. Bills were never right, missed engineer appointments but in the end I emailed an address I found and a lovely lady based in Ireland helped me to solve it all apart from the old bills. got a code to get through to a team and nothing was too much trouble. 

I wonder if you have fon, it might help and worth a try but not good for any type of gaming but you might find that gets around the issue for general use.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

@Sambob 

Thanks for your message, I thought I would reply directly on this thread as it might help other customers.

When you had Parental Controls switched on you activated the "Homework" filter. This filter was set to "Block all Week" and this filter blocks all social media websites.  Switching off Parental Controls doesn't automatically switch OFF any filters that have been set up by the user.

Can you switch Parental Control back ON and switch the "Homework" filter off then turn Parental Controls back OFF again and then try and access the Social Media website?

Please let me know if this resolves this issue?

Thanks

Matt

Sambob
Contributor
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution

@Matt-S  thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I've logged into My BT both via web browser and the app. I have re-enabled Parental Controls, but I can't see any "homework" filter anywhere in that section. I must also add that I did not see this or turn this on previously when I activated parental controls.

I have noted that there is a section at the bottom called "Your parental controls timings" - "Choose extra settings for homework time Block all distractions like social media, chat and games at specific times."

but I never made any changes to this and at the moment its set to all week, from 00:00 to 00:00. I have pressing the Reset button next to this but it just sets it to the same thing. 

0 Ratings
Sambob
Contributor
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

Right. After pressing Reset button on the "Your parental controls timings" - "Choose extra settings for homework time Block all distractions like social media, chat and games at specific times." - saving and then turning parental controls off and selecting do not remember settings for when I turn them back on, I am now able to get back onto all websites and services again.

Wow. I'm speechless. All this hassle because parental controls doesn't actually turn off properly when you turn it off.

Sambob
Contributor
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

I have to add that without these mods on these forums I would be tearing my nose hair out (all my head hair has already been torn out) with the current state of my ISP, BT.

They are an invaluable and necessary asset to BT right now. The actual official technical support department on the phone are neither use nor ornament when it comes to anything apart from checking broadband speeds.

I think BT need to re-evaluate their telephone tech support, their broadband security feature design and system to remove these issues and quite critically, communicate with their customers when they make changes that will affect their customers such as access control changes, parental control changes, etc.

Now back to spending more time on the latency issue I was originally having which is where this all stemmed from.

Stu_H
Contributor
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

Glad it’s all sorted for you. 

now you know why I use a separate router and modem 😂

0 Ratings