cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 21 of 32

Re: "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Unsupported protocol" when trying to access Social

Go to solution

The router/modem has nothing to do with it. This is an external setting within My BT account which applies on my line at their end. There are few broadband security controls within the router anymore, only firewall rules etc.

It appears that BT have decided to move a lot of their features such as access control and BT-WiFi off the router and into the cloud so they cannot be reset by pesky teenagers performing factory resets on the router. However, they need to look at these systems and iron out these issues ASAP!

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 32

Re: "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH Unsupported protocol" when trying to access Social

Go to solution

Thank god I never go there or have pesky teenagers.

thanks for letting me know

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 23 of 32

Go to solution

@Sambob 

Thanks for posting the exact steps you took to fix the issue hopefully your post will help other customers.

When looking into this issue I was speaking to the product team which manage the Parental Controls and they are aware that the current process doesn't lead to a great user or customer service experience.  Let hope that this process will be changed in a later version of Parental Controls.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 24 of 32

Go to solution

And yeah, I know that I could buy an all singing all dancing router, network switch / firewall/filter to have granular control over things on my network, similar to the security settings BT provide, however, I do not feel that I should need to spend extra money on this when for years I've used BT's router and systems without an issue.

I think that BT must have recently gone through alot of changes which has triggered these issues for me. I hope they don't continue as it's been so stressful and a big waste of time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 25 of 32

Go to solution

I've never used an ISP supplied router. One size fits all never does.

Never used their DNS servers either which is where BT parental controls are applied.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 32

Go to solution

I don't feel like I should have to pay extra for a 3rd party router. I've always been happy using BT's supplied routers in the past. It's only recently I've had an issue.

Which DNS servers would you recommend? I know google offer free DNS using 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 but I'm weary of using 3rd party DNS as really your ISP should be the first port of call for reliable DNS as you are paying for the service...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 32

Go to solution

BT supply one to get you going which is fair enough but you might require better security like PMF that is missing from most Wi-fi 5 devices or you want better control via a QoS or even services that offer better gaming connections or with VPN services.

the choice is yours, I prefer my own routers and network but it can turn out expensive depending on your needs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 28 of 32

Go to solution

@Sambob wrote:

I don't feel like I should have to pay extra for a 3rd party router. I've always been happy using BT's supplied routers in the past. It's only recently I've had an issue.

Which DNS servers would you recommend? I know google offer free DNS using 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 but I'm weary of using 3rd party DNS as really your ISP should be the first port of call for reliable DNS as you are paying for the service...

I use Cloudflare as my primary 1.1.1.1 and google as my secondary.

More on Cloudflre DNS here. https://1.1.1.1/dns/ 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 32

Go to solution

Sam, Gibson do a simple and easy freeware DNS benchmark test so you can see what’s what.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Highlighted
Sage
Message 30 of 32

Go to solution

A very good tool if used correctly. @Stu_H 

0 Ratings