Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evil_Noodle
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

"GAMER" Please Help Fast speeds but Lag spikes BT Infinity

Hi guys,

Really, Really hope some one can help me with my issues, when I go on speedtest.net I get average 21 down, 8 up however I get HUGE lag, I.E on youtube the first 50 seconds or so of the vid buffers in like 2 seconds then it slows right down and usually takes like 4 - 5 minutes for a 10 minute vid to finish buffer in 360p quality.

Also I am a gamer on COD: Black ops (http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamBurnPs3) <<< my team ;P.

I am getting quite a lot of LAG playing black ops, I get full bar connection with moderate Nat type 2 however it stutters, like oneminute I'm running along and the next minute I'm dead and the dude is running past me.

I called BT and the guys were nice and stuff and said there was no faults with my line, they would make my exchange aware and have me put on a faster line or something and some one would call me back yesterday or today (they have not). They also said if that does not work then its basically tough because speedtest.net shows I'm getting decent speeds and that is all they ever promised.

I feel I am not getting the service that I'm paying a lot for and don't know where to turn, don't know if the ombudsman could help me.

I am running wireless for everything on HH3, I never had this problem with Sky and my 4mb connection.

Sorry for wall of text just trying to be thorough!

Kind Regards,

Evil Noodle

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: "GAMER" Please Help Fast speeds but Lag spikes BT Infinity

I'm supprised you are wireless for ardent gamer. What device do you use!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

same thougths here as ardent gamers normally seem to have cable connections for greater reliability
0 Ratings
Evil_Noodle
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

dont know how to get my home hub 3 settings?

i dont know what fast path or interleaved means?

sorry im not that technical i just like to watch movies and shoot things 😄

my home set up is not ideal for wired (plus my mrs would go of it if i had ps3 down stairs)

im using Netgear wg111v3 for my pc and ps3 has built in wirelss device.

never really had m,uch lag before fibre optic went in Just needed more badwidth so the mrs could stream or download while i crunch souls on COD.

appreciate any and all help!

Kind reagards,

Noodles

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 5 of 15

Hi there,

If you can't run ethernet cables all over the house, then the next best solution for a gamer would be to use Homeplugs.

As the other posters have quite rightly said, using wireless for gaming is probably the least desirable option, the wireless connection can be subject to dropped packets and interference, thereby increasing your "lag" to the router (Homehub or otherwise) before that signal is even sent forwards to the internet and your game session.

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

Sorry Evil, either i came to the wrong forum or your post popped in the wrong forum, however the wireless still stands

I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Evil_Noodle
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Again i would like to stress i never had this issue prior to BT infinity using same setup?

0 Ratings
sahotaquack
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

EXACT same problem here! Decent download speeds, pings not too bad. I get 4 Bar connection on black ops (ps3) but i still lag! im always jolting around, it was fine for the 1st 6weeks then suddenly boom LAGGGG. Got the router HH3 replaced but i still the same problem, no idea whats causing it. I was then forced to buy homeplugs, to play on  my ps3, now im playing lag free. A load of **bleep** that i have to buy something to play on my PS3 without lag.

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

However its wireless and is fickle at its very best, there is so much that messes with it in the home, In my opinion it would be foolish to recommend any wireless hardware, because what works one home might not another etc. You will aways be better hardwired.

Also take into consideration, that Call of Duty series has awful reputation for its online play. And I have not played the series for many years, due to the issues you raise, I'm led to believe they don't use dedicated servers and rely on p2p.

I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 10 of 15

YouTube slows you down purposely so you don’t waste all of their bandwidth if you try skipping ahead of where it has loaded you will find is does so almost instantly and then loads another chunk ahead of where you skipped to, that how is works it only loads as fast as it needs to.

Moderate NAT won’t help but PS3 is a nightmare to port forward properly and doesn’t always sort itself out even through Ethernet, PSN has an awful reputation so it’s quite feasible that the lag is at their end not yours. Your ping is not great at 35ms but on your line length that’s perfectly acceptable and better than what you would have had previously so is not what is causing you problems your eyes cannot define a 0.035 second time gap a stutter is likely to be 500-1000ms or more. Even if it cannot stay permanently at least try a wired connection to see if it solves the problem, if it does not i would say that the PSN has problems not you.

Also bear in mind that the HH3 wireless is not great so if the Ethernet does solve your problem but you want to switch back to wireless you need to buy another router or try home plugs like has been suggested

0 Ratings