cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Speccy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

"Super Stable Mode" - does it reduce speed?

I got Infinity 2 about a month ago. For the first two weeks or so it was great, my connection was 70+ down/~19 up.

But after a fortnight or so I started getting regular dropped connections (several an hour sometimes). After contacting BT Support, I've had my Infinity 2 line put on to something called "Super Stable Mode".

However, since being put on to Super stable mode, when I do a speed test, the speed is now about half of my original values (both up and down).

Is there anything I can do about this, or is it just coincidence? Like I said, at first it was a stable connection with top speeds. I would like to be able to get back to this if possible.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: "Super Stable Mode" - does it reduce speed?

I have never heard of the "Super Stable Mode".  Unless I am mistaken this must be a new phrase that Customer Services are using to fob cutomers off.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Speccy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Here are the screenshots...

Thanks.

Cabinet

Test

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Please run the speed test again and run the further diagnostics test and post the results.

0 Ratings
Speccy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Here's a screen of the diagnostics test...

Thanks.

ipprofile.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

You are IP Profile has been lowered which would indicate that DLM (Dynamic Line Management) which is an automated process, has detected a fault/noise on your line and it has lowered the speeds to try and maintain a stable connection.

It will keep the speeds down untill the detected fault has been repaired.

You need to re-contact BT and inform them that you obviously have a fault, you are way below your estimated speed, which going by your previous speeds would appear to be within a Range B line and that you want an engineer out to investigate the problem.

Speccy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thanks, I've emailed BT support and got a ref. no. back. Let's see what they come up with...

0 Ratings
Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Hi Speccy,

I had similar, where my line was 'capped', with an IP profile of around 32. I initially picked up the fault by looking at my home hub manager stats - going to Troubleshooting then Helpdesk, and the data rate (Line 6) showed a rounded 35000.

I got in touch with BT through the online chat facility, who told me there was definitely an issue, but work was scheduled at my exchange that night. The following day I had a phone call asking how my speed was - the same - so the OpenReach engineers were booked to visit my property and carry out a line reset - which they did a few days later.

They then went on to do some further checking, picking up a wiring fault which they rectified and a 'self induced' noise issue which they helped me with.

As they told me, they can carry out a line reset which will initially result in increased speeds, but without the root cause of why the speed has dropped being found and fixed, your speed will eventually find its way back down to where it is now.

0 Ratings
Speccy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Update:

Chatted with support online and they acknowledged the issue, and could see that the line is dropping far too often. An engineer is coming to my house on 2nd June and it should get sorted. If the problem is on my premises and requires some work, I'll have to pay a £130 charge. Hope the issue is off my premises!

It's ridiculous my connection now, dropped twice in the last 15 mins.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

If it has been like this from the get go, you have probably had a bad install. Make sure the engineer is aware of how long it has been happening and confirm that he carries out a DLM reset if required.

0 Ratings