cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legend1
Message 1 of 8

relocate filtered master socket

I have a filtered NTE5 in the middle of my hallway with no power close to it. I would like to move the filtered socket to the lounge for router and tv services and keep an extension socket for regular plug in phone in the hall. I have run BT CW1308 cable to the lounge but am not sure how to move the filtered master socket. I currently have FTTC broadband using a long extension lead to power the router in hallway. I obviously don't want to use a plug in filter I the lounge. Please can someone explain how to move and wire the new sockets?
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: relocate filtered master socket

Don't think links can be posted but have you tried googling and seeing if there is a video. Pretty sure there will be one chap seems to post vids about most things broadband/phone sockets.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

@Legend1 wrote:
I have a filtered NTE5 in the middle of my hallway with no power close to it. I would like to move the filtered socket to the lounge for router and tv services and keep an extension socket for regular plug in phone in the hall. I have run BT CW1308 cable to the lounge but am not sure how to move the filtered master socket. I currently have FTTC broadband using a long extension lead to power the router in hallway. I obviously don't want to use a plug in filter I the lounge. Please can someone explain how to move and wire the new sockets?

If you only want the extension to plug your hub/router into then all you need to do is connect the 2 data terminals in the hall master socket to an RJ11 socket in the lounge.

Image result for nte5 faceplate

0 Ratings
Legend1
Message 4 of 8

Hi Licquorice,
Thanks for that, just out of interest if I wanted a phone in the lounge as well is that possible without using a plug in filter?
Also does it matter what colours are used in the cable for the voice and data sides, I can see you are brown white and brown in the photo?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Up to you what colours you use.

You will need a filter for any phone as the socket will be recieving an unfiltered signal so that you can plug your hub in.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Indeed, electrons aren't overly fussy about the colour of the insulation. Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Legend1
Message 7 of 8

This might a a stupid question then but, can I move the master socket with filter to the lounge and put an old style phone extension in the hall? If so how would I connect it? Do I need another run of bt cable from the lounge back to the hallway to achieve this?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

You can if you like. You can just use another pair in the cable you have run.

If you put the extension socket in the hall, crimp the incoming 2 wires to the blue pair in the cable you have run to the lounge without connecting to the socket. Connect the blue pair at the master socket in the lounge to the incoming terminals at the rear of the master socket. Connect the orange pair in the cable to terminals 2&5 on the removable faceplate at the master and terminals 2&5 at the extension.

Job done.