Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

repetitive loss of connection to internet

Go to solution

Hi guys, 

Sorry for having a wail, but can anyone suggest how to resolve this connection loss problem. 

Since I renewed my contract (from 06th March 2017) the hub loses connection to the internet several times over the course of each 24 hour period. 

First I could regain connection by using the 'Network Adapter Troubleshooter'. But after that working a few times, the problem seemed to shift and could then be solved only by using the 'Internet Connections Troubleshooter'. This again worked a few times as a solution but then neither option could find the problem.

It lost connection again and the hub problem page came up, then whilst clicking next, going through a couple of their pages, it righted itself. 

I'm starting to think someone is trying to cut me off. I phoned regarding my homepage at 'my bt' not showing my new bill amount and only saying zero for the next bill; and was told it would be sorted out; but the bill is supposed to appear in a few dayss, and still zero. 

If this can't be solved by chat; and is not solved by telephone; who is left to solve it. I do not know who to talk to about it all. 

I have sent an email in, but it takes 7 days to hear back. 

p.s. I pay always by Direct Debit and have NEVER had any arrears (just thought I'd add that!) 

😞 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: repetitive loss of connection to internet

Go to solution

BT cannot 'punish' you by making your broadband connection flaky - honest.

Have you tried changing the channel your router/hub uses?  Channel congestion can cause loss of service.

Using a corded phone, dial 17070 Option 2 to perform a quiet line test.  The line should be silent, no clicks, wails or squeaks.  If it isn't then run through plugging into the test socket and try again.  If you can still hear noise then  you should contact BT support - but don't mention your broadband problems, just the noise on the line.

Do you have your router plugged into the test socket?  This can be found by taking the front plate of your master socket (unless you have the very old type socket that is just a single square).  Plugging into the test socket eliminates interference from any internal wiring.  You will require an adsl filter for your router to be able to do this.  You can plug your phone into the same filter but if you still get interference this too should be removed until you confirm that the interference is present with nothing but the router plugged in.  If you do have the old type sockets then the 'master' socket is the first one after the line enters the house.  Unplug anything plugged into any extension sockets and perform the same tests.

Do you have access to an alternative router?  Testing with an alternative router would eliminate that as the source of any problem.  A working spare is always useful if only for this reason.

0 Ratings
marke161
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Hello, 

I'm suffering a similar issue with my HH5. 

I've never liked this router and it has given me problems in the past. For the last 12 months it has been fairly consistent in terms of connection, but in the last few weeks the internet connection drops out randomly. 

The drops outs mostly occur when I'm using my laptop wirelessly.

Sometimes this happens once a day, on other days, several times.

Generally it either shows a red light, at other times a green light. I tend to unplug the router and plug it back in again and it settles back to a steady blue light after about three minutes.

I've changed the filter but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Mark

Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

'The drops outs mostly occur when I'm using my laptop wirelessly.' but not when you are connected by ethernet? 

What, if anything, happens if you just leave it to sort itself out rather than reboot?

Have you tried the quiet line and test socket options suggested above?

Have you any idea what the stats on your router show?

0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

lol thankyou foxcliffe I didn't think they were punishing me, that idea made me giggle 🙂 i thought they might have forgotten my contract had renewed, which they haven't, thus linking in my mind what was two unrelated things, 

Thankyou for replying I appreciate it, but I would not want to start messing with what a qualified engineer had done. Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Hello marke161, thankyou for replying. The oddest thing about all this is that on the 'third' set of the 'shifting set of problems' my router stays blue! And checks say all is working. 

My ideas now are that it may be an area problem that BT are working on fixing; even though we don't come up on their towns list. 

I hope that it will work better soon as I too have not had ant problems with my hub until now. 

fingers crossed, 

Wren

0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

thanks foxcliffe but I do not use my line for phonecalls only broadband, so telling BT I had 'clicks' as you suggested would puzzle them very much as they know i don't have a landline phone; I find mobile phones much cheaper for me. Bt do some great deals, especially with family sim cards, and mobile phones have voicemail so no need for answering machines. One good way is to have two mobile phones - one for 'work' and one for 'personal'; plus with Bt's great email service, it all works out much more economical 🙂 

My router log shows lists and lists of the words - 'possible attack'; i am trying not to think about that 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

@Wren

As you do not have a phone plugged in, you may like to read this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/No-Internet-and-horrible-bt-customer-service...

This also applies to BT Infinity.

A landline phone is essential, especially in an emergency, when there may not be a phone signal. You can also be located by BT if you use the landline phone.

0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe

Thanky0ou for the link, which I read; and to be honest with you, I think that the onus should be on the service provider not the customer. 

I found this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/12200344/BT-and-other-broadband-companies-could-be-b... 

I think it's true that the whole idea of phonelines is out of date; I can see why more people are changing to only using mobile phones for everything. 

The only way to stay with lines is if BT changes the whole thing to fibre, right to the customers house, and not cobbling together an old way with a new way. 

also I agree with this - 

''BT and other broadband companies could be banned from charging householders for landlines they do not use Ed Vaizey, the Culture minister, said the charges - typically £25 a month - wants householders only to pay charges for services they use, describing the system as an 'analogue billing system in a digital world'

''BT and other telecommunication providers could be banned from charging homeowners for landlines that they do not use when they sign up for broadband packages.

One in five homeowners does not make fixed line calls but still have to pay rental charges for a landline connection.'' 

''The whole idea of a landline is out of date and providers need to move with the times''

''Last month a major consumer campaign group said broadband customers should be entitled to statutory compensation of up to £75 each if their internet connection fails or is too slow.

Which? said broadband companies like BT should be subject to the same penalties as major utility providers of gas and electricity to homes across the UK if they fail to provide good service.''   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

@Wren wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe

Thanky0ou for the link, which I read; and to be honest with you, I think that the onus should be on the service provider not the customer. 

But while we are stuck with the technical limitations of copper conductors, and are likely to be for a very long time yet, you need to appreciate what can go wrong.

For the sake of a very small expenditure, (£5), and without having to make any actual calls, a quick monthly check with a phone, can save a poor broadband service.

0 Ratings