Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: repetitive loss of connection to internet

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

appreciate what you are saying i do;

but I've just found the right way to solve all this - 

I went to here - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13897/~/video--how-to-test-your-phone-line-and-check-... 

and clicked an option; then the chat box came up to talk with problem-fixing people; the helper there tested both my broadband and my phoneline; and said that my phoneline is fine, and not having a landline phone isn't an issue; and they found my real problem is that I have a fault on my hub; so they then ordered me a new one Smiley Happy 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

Sounds like the normal answer from the helpdesk, I would be surprised if a new hub makes any difference.

Line testing.

They cannot detect high resistance connections using the line tester. Its a very basic test for either loop, battery, or earth connection, or in some cases a break in the copper circuit somewhere.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

A good old-fashioned Mark1 eardrum can detect a lot of things technology can't. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

A good old-fashioned Mark1 eardrum can detect a lot of things technology can't. Smiley Wink

Exactly Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

please don't make me sad Smiley Sad 

I cannot cope with a landline phone for the following reasons - 

I can't afford it;

bt know i don't have one, so if someone breaks in my flat they could make phonecalls just plugging in their cheap £5 phone, so it's obvious it's not me, buut if i get a phone and use the phoneline then bt can quite logically say but you have a phone and have used it; 

people could break in and use my cheapo £5 phone to make not-cheapo phonecalls, that i can't then afford to pay; 

So if my new hub doesn't solve the problem then will an engineer have to test the line; the chat helper said they tested it? 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

@Wren wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

I can't afford it;

What £5, you don't have to make any chargeable calls.

bt know i don't have one, no they don't so if someone breaks in my flat they could make phonecalls just plugging in their cheap £5 phone, so it's obvious it's not me, buut if i get a phone and use the phoneline then bt can quite logically say but you have a phone and have used it; they would say that anyway as they have no idea whether you have a phone or not.

people could break in and use my cheapo £5 phone to make not-cheapo phonecalls, that i can't then afford to pay; 

Do people normally break into flats in order to use the phone?

So if my new hub doesn't solve the problem then will an engineer have to test the line; the chat helper said they tested it? 

You could always just borrow one.

0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

@licquorice 

@licquorice wrote:

@Wren wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

I can't afford it;

What £5, you don't have to make any chargeable calls.

bt know i don't have one, no they don't so if someone breaks in my flat they could make phonecalls just plugging in their cheap £5 phone, so it's obvious it's not me, buut if i get a phone and use the phoneline then bt can quite logically say but you have a phone and have used it; they would say that anyway as they have no idea whether you have a phone or not.

Do people normally break into flats in order to use the phone?

You could always just borrow one.

now you are being rude; 

also please do not add sarcastic comments into my post, as though an arrogant teacher sneering at a schoolchild. 

I think the accounts department may have noticed I don't have a phone. 

Yes thankyou for your snide and thoughtless comments; I will look into borrowing an engineer if I find I need one at a later date. Though I wasn't planning on keeping him. 

Your seeming ability to do everyone's job at bt better than they can is wonderful :/ but I found someone who was polite to help me, and felt no need to put me down in order to feel good about himself. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

I can assure you the accounts department have absolutely no knowledge of whether you have a phone or not, it is of no interest to them whatsoever.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Please keep it friendly, we want community members to feel comfortable asking and answering questions.

Cheers

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings