Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: repetitive loss of connection to internet

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

appreciate what you are saying i do;

but I've just found the right way to solve all this - 

I went to here - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13897/~/video--how-to-test-your-phone-line-and-check-... 

and clicked an option; then the chat box came up to talk with problem-fixing people; the helper there tested both my broadband and my phoneline; and said that my phoneline is fine, and not having a landline phone isn't an issue; and they found my real problem is that I have a fault on my hub; so they then ordered me a new one 🙂 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

Sounds like the normal answer from the helpdesk, I would be surprised if a new hub makes any difference.

Line testing.

They cannot detect high resistance connections using the line tester. Its a very basic test for either loop, battery, or earth connection, or in some cases a break in the copper circuit somewhere.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

A good old-fashioned Mark1 eardrum can detect a lot of things technology can't. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

A good old-fashioned Mark1 eardrum can detect a lot of things technology can't. Smiley Wink

Exactly Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

please don't make me sad 😞 

I cannot cope with a landline phone for the following reasons - 

I can't afford it;

bt know i don't have one, so if someone breaks in my flat they could make phonecalls just plugging in their cheap £5 phone, so it's obvious it's not me, buut if i get a phone and use the phoneline then bt can quite logically say but you have a phone and have used it; 

people could break in and use my cheapo £5 phone to make not-cheapo phonecalls, that i can't then afford to pay; 

So if my new hub doesn't solve the problem then will an engineer have to test the line; the chat helper said they tested it? 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

@Wren wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

I can't afford it;

What £5, you don't have to make any chargeable calls.

bt know i don't have one, no they don't so if someone breaks in my flat they could make phonecalls just plugging in their cheap £5 phone, so it's obvious it's not me, buut if i get a phone and use the phoneline then bt can quite logically say but you have a phone and have used it; they would say that anyway as they have no idea whether you have a phone or not.

people could break in and use my cheapo £5 phone to make not-cheapo phonecalls, that i can't then afford to pay; 

Do people normally break into flats in order to use the phone?

So if my new hub doesn't solve the problem then will an engineer have to test the line; the chat helper said they tested it? 

You could always just borrow one.

0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

@licquorice 

@licquorice wrote:

@Wren wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

I can't afford it;

What £5, you don't have to make any chargeable calls.

bt know i don't have one, no they don't so if someone breaks in my flat they could make phonecalls just plugging in their cheap £5 phone, so it's obvious it's not me, buut if i get a phone and use the phoneline then bt can quite logically say but you have a phone and have used it; they would say that anyway as they have no idea whether you have a phone or not.

Do people normally break into flats in order to use the phone?

You could always just borrow one.

now you are being rude; 

also please do not add sarcastic comments into my post, as though an arrogant teacher sneering at a schoolchild. 

I think the accounts department may have noticed I don't have a phone. 

Yes thankyou for your snide and thoughtless comments; I will look into borrowing an engineer if I find I need one at a later date. Though I wasn't planning on keeping him. 

Your seeming ability to do everyone's job at bt better than they can is wonderful 😕 but I found someone who was polite to help me, and felt no need to put me down in order to feel good about himself. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

I can assure you the accounts department have absolutely no knowledge of whether you have a phone or not, it is of no interest to them whatsoever.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Please keep it friendly, we want community members to feel comfortable asking and answering questions.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings