cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

rubbish broadband speed

I have rubbish broadband I can barely get 10Mbps and am currently looking to install a second broadband connection

and connect it up to a router so that i have 2 broadband connections providing throughput

I have run the BT wholesale broadband checker and get the following results

any advice ?broadband.jpg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: rubbish broadband speed

@grjstaples 

You are getting a 13.8Mbs connection speed, which is mid range of your expected speed.

Ordering an extra line could impact on your existing line due to crosstalk.

Its not possible to combine two connections together to increase the speed, you would just end up with two separate broadband connections at twice the cost.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

your speed is low due to your distance from the street cabinet but your connection speed is within your expected speed range

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The second line should be installed as a separate wire so would there still be crosstalk?

I am planning to use a load balancing router which according to the blurb that came with it should do exactly what I want or is that not the case?

worst case we will have to split the devices physically across the two connections by connecting to one hub or the other to keep the load from congesting (video calls are the main issue so we can do one call on one and the other call on the other).

Openreach claim to be looking at ultrafast fibre but getting a date for that is impossible and there is no guarantee of speed available yet 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

The second line will share most of its routing with the first line, and because of the distance from the cabinet, some crosstalk is possible.

I do not know anything about load balancing routers, or how they could integrate two separate streams which are not in sync. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

ok thanks - I will have to do some testing to see if it gives the benefit we need (improved throughput would be great)

I will update this once we get the line installed - BT has a bad track record here 4 failed appointments - all they do is attempt to take over the existing line despite it being booked as a totally new and separate second line

I have been wondering if a new overhead line might have a better speed as this looks to have been put up in 2012

0 Ratings