Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
samoht
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

slow connection, dropping connection and massive latencies

i have been a bt ifinity 2 customer since decemer 2013 ish, back then i was geting 63.2 down a and 15 up. it was perfect till may 2014, the down speed droped to 5 down 2 up this was quite a significant drop and made it quite unsable to 2 heavy users.

i called bt and they belived it was the router so they sent me another one, this did not help so they sent a enginer

when the enginer arrived he did the enginerey stuff, he poked around the router and open reach hub. he replace a section of line near to my house, he said that the speed will incerease over time. which it did to 20 down 5 up about 2 weeks after the enginer left. i phoned the customer help and they said it should still increase, so i was patienct but it did not. 

now a year and a bit later the problems reoccured but worse. 

the speed has droped to 11 down and 0.06 up and has a ping of 280 (all speeds were done on the bt broadband speed test and latencys on bt whole sale speed test off peak times)

the internet drops 3 or 4 times a hour and and can last up to 5 minitues at a time, this is on and off peak times. when ever some one calls the landline the the internet drops.

i have spoke to my neighbors who are on bt they report no problem but i not sure how reliable they are not realy tekey.

• the router and the open reach box has been restarted.
  • i have use a 3rd party router
  • i have connected straight to the wall with the open reach box with bt and 3rd party router
  • there is no static on the phone

none of the above made any diffrence.

i belive that it is the line which is damaged, but i want a second oppinion as last time bt said they would charge me for the enginer to come out and it is extreamly unlikely for the 100 or so meters of line to be damaged multiple 2 within 2 years.

thanks for reading my rambleing.

helpdesk.png

i would put the event log but there it is practicaly full of request for data off my media server and there is no way to filter them out unless i go for each indervidual catogorie. also it does not allow direct copy and past.

thanks again

ps my name is not is thomas not sam as people seem to think 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: slow connection, dropping connection and massive latencies

Unfortunately as you are using a locked Openreach modem the line stats are not available.

Run a speedtest HERE after the first test finishes click on "Further Diagnostics" and post the result of that test. The test must be done with a wired connection.

The last time you rang support did you inform them your connection dropped when you used the phone?

0 Ratings
jazzster500
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

thats odd, im having very similar problem, but im on normal broadband, when I have problems i can hear crackling noises on the phone, if i use my phone and it disconnects and reconnects while im still on the phone it runs a lower speed, I have had the phoneline tested by BT but all tests came back OK. He did put a new face plate on the socket with filter built in, but problem has been the same for last week, i have reported it with broadband and they phoned saturday telling me to just have the one phone and homehub connected they phone monday saying its working ok but i had been constanly disconnecting all day got to wait for another could later on tueaday morning.

0 Ratings
Firepool
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Frequent connection dropout
I'm on BT infinity, version 1, Homehub3. Mostly I get 20-35 download, 8-10 up and consider those speeds very satisfactory for my usage. BUT frequent dropouts are not acceptable because I often use the connection for radio listening and when the line is restored after the dropout (usually quite quickly) my iPad chooses to use BT WiFi X or similar and I have to re-establish the connection to my private network to obtain full service. Of course you can argue that the behaviour of the iPad is wrong but the primary cause is the dropouts, which also result in breaks in TV viewing of Sky or BT sport which have nothing to do with IOS.

Recently I received an email from BT saying they had noticed my system was having trouble although I had not contacted the helpline- the scars of the execrable service in the summer when Infinity was introduced are still raw. Anyway the advice in the email was to purchase a WiFi Extender, which was a bit strange because I live in a small house. But I tried it anyway - anything to avoid the helpline! - and guess what, aside from marginally better performance in certain physical areas, it is just as bad, the dropouts remain, perhaps two or three every day that I notice, probably more that I don't.

I don't consider the standard of service satisfactory.
0 Ratings
samoht
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

the last time i rang, i told them about the internet dropping when calls are recived and they just sent me a new (@ the time) router out (hub 4)

and i can not do the "Further Diagnostics"(test 3), it requires me to change the DSL username which i belive (or can not find) can not be changed. the test will not run without it 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 11

@samoht wrote:

the last time i rang, i told them about the internet dropping when calls are recived and they just sent me a new (@ the time) router out (hub 4)

and i can not do the "Further Diagnostics"(test 3), it requires me to change the DSL username which i belive (or can not find) can not be changed. the test will not run without it 

Test 3 is not necessary. the further diagnostics is the 2nd test.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Hi samoht,

Thanks for posting. Does the connection only drop when a call is received or does it drop at other times?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
samoht
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

the connetion always drops when the phone is answered, the connetion drops frequently (3 - 4 times a hour) when the phone is not in use.

0 Ratings
samoht
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

0 Ratings
samoht
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

screencapture-speedtest-btwholesale-com-1439415195491.png

0 Ratings