Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curleous
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

stuck at 40.00

Hi There.

i have a bt smart hub and my broadband always syncs at exactly 40.00 mbps for download. I find this a bit strange that it always syncs at this speed unless it has been told not to go above this. My smart hub says bt infinity in the status page where i thought i should be on infinity 3 or 4. Would this make any difference. I have recently had another line installed and this line was giving me speeds of near 60.00 mbps using exatly the same cable apart from a different pair from the pole to the house. This line has since been removed but it seems very strange that it always syncs at exactly the same speed. What are the chanced of that . It must be capped ?. helpdesk not so helpful.

Many Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: stuck at 40.00

Infinity 3 & 4 are FTTP services only. You are supplied via FTTC connection.
Can you post your connection stats from the hub. Hh6 advanced settings /technical logs.
0 Ratings
curleous
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

hi there
details below

Product name:
BT Hub 6A

Serial number:
+084319+NQ74114343

Firmware version:
SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:
13-Apr-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:
6 Days, 11 Hours 32 Minutes 49 Seconds

Data rate:
10.85 Mbps / 40.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
10778 / 44928

Noise margin:
5.8 dB / 7.8 dB

Line attenuation:
21.2 dB

Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI:
0/38

Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:
Fast Path

Data sent / received:
3777 MB Uploaded / 70336 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:
bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:
Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:
curlywurly

2.4 GHz wireless channel:
Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:
curlywurly

5 GHz wireless channel:
Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:
WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:
Mode 1

Firewall:
On

MAC address:
B0:98:2B:00:E8:C9

Software variant:
-

Boot loader:
0 Ratings
curleous
Contributor
Message 4 of 26

any ideas anyone ?

Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

One of 2 things. Either your line has been banded by DLM due to instability or it has been mis-provisioned at the old 40M download rate. Is there any noise on the line when you do a quiet line test on 17070 from the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket.

Your maximum rate is only about 45M in any case, so doubt you would notice any difference if your line wasn't banded.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

What does the DSL checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker show for your line? Edit out your phone number before posting screenshot.

0 Ratings
curleous
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Thanks all for the replies. I will do a check when I get home at around midnight. It seems frustrating as the other line that I had removed a few weeks ago was syncing at almost 60 which is a 50% improvement on this line. There is no noise on the line and the line is stable and has been up for 7 days and before that was up for about 25 days. I guess there is no point in phoning again as they will not be able to tell if it has been banded by DLM. So how does one check for banding as I don't want to pay a callout fee ?.
The line that was removed did have a newer style faceplate fitted. Is it possible that the faceplate could make this much of a difference to my sync speed. ?
Thanks
Andy
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

The exact figure of 40M with a higher than normal noise margin suggests DLM banding which can only be reset by an engineer visiting and positively clearing a fault. You need to eliminate your internal wiring as a possible cause by connecting to the test socket. Can you post the result of the checker,  it will give an idea of the capability of your line.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

I don't think you are on old 40mb package as your up speed is just over 10mb suggesting infinity 2   So more likely banded profile but as @licquorice said even if you get out banding you max speed is only 45mb 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
curleous
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Thanks everyone.

I will post the results of the wholesale tests tomorrow when i get home. I think that you are proably correct so hardly worth pusuing for 5 mb. On the other hand the other line now ceased which was at 60 mb might be worth pursuing.
Has anyone got any experience of these mew master sockets and improvement gained ?.

Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings