cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

terrible service as a new customer

This is amazing how bad the service is. After being online for 2 weeks I expected the service to settle down with a constant speed, guaranteed as promised. Well you could not be more wrong. Having tried several speed test I had an average of 28MBPS, Guaranteed minimum in my area is 48MBPS. An open reach engineer spent 5 hours checking and said the line is fine  with 57MBPS at the socket but the Fibre 2 hub is only putting out about 30MBPS. He reported this and another engineer was booked to investigate further. He did not turn up and suddenly the fault was closed as fixed by the engineers visit???? How? The fault still remains and now eventually it has been agreed to send a replacement hub. A problem is that BT claim no problem as the line is good, but if the hub is rubbish what can we do? The speed test on the BT site does not work....perhaps because it is known that the speeds are not correct. Why do BT claim to have fixed faults which are still in place? I am now tempted to close my direct debit and return everything as it is ridiculous to stay for 2 years if you cannot fix the problem now. If the new hub is the same that is what will happen.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: terrible service as a new customer

@Petesmith 

In terms of the guaranteed speed that is in fact the connected rate as shown within the homehub afaik and not results from speed tests. What are your connected speeds?

As for the remainder of your post I can't comment.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

all speeds quoted by BT are connection speed not download speeds. I know it says download in some of your documentation but this is clarified in the T&C  where download is actually connection speed

are you doing btspeedtester with ethernet connection not wireless  no ISP guarantees download speed far less wireless download speed

https://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

There is no minimum guaranteed speed for any area, it doesn't work that way nor can it.

Once you have posted the requested info someone will be able to help you further.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

thanks for the reply, if no minimum speed can be guaranteed how are they allowed to advertise one?

Anyway yesterday I received a BT speed test wholesale link which I tried, the results were amazing. I set 2 laptops up for the test, one using the BT tester and one with Ookla online tester.

Test 1, BT 21.72 DL.        Ookla 24.45 DL

Test 2, BT 34.81 DL         Ookla 25.32 DL

Test 3, BT 64.86 DL.        Ookla 26.46 DL

Test 4, BT 115.43 DL.     Ookla 28.41 DL

Test 5,BT 154.68 DL.      Ookla 27.56 DL

A very odd result as my line only gives 59 maximum speed at the box in the street and 57 at the house terminal so not sure how we are getting high readings. The house junction has been tested and is constant at 57. The hub however drops to 20 DL all the time. Perhaps the new hub coming tis week will sort it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

to be able to help we need the info I requested especially hub stats and dslchecker results

any speed test must be done with ethernet connection not wireless to be meaningful before BT will help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Hi, all test done with ethernet cable connection, same as the open reach engineer carried out.

I am reluctant to go into the hub settings at the moment and will wait for the replacement hub to come before doing this. As I mentioned a new hub may fix it, as the engineer said.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

ok posting stats wont affect the hub and will also give a comparison when you connect your new hub to see what if anything changes - up to you

you could post the dslchecker results as that will show expected speed range for your line

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 20.52.31-min.pngScreenshot 2020-08-02 at 16.01.52-min.pngScreenshot 2020-08-02 at 16.02.25-min.pngScreenshot 2020-08-02 at 16.05.40-min.png

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

From dslchecker your last recorded connection speed was right at bottom of your estimated range but really need to see stats to see if that is as good as you get or attainable is much better

which exchange and cab are you on as you deleted that from checker results

0 Ratings