cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Winstonedd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

theoretical max data rate of FTTP from Openreach compared to DOCSIS

I am extremely happy with my FFTP service, but out of curiosity for future proofing, what would the FTTP infrastructure be able to handle compared to other technologies such as DOCSIS etc. this is purely on what the Fiber could handle ignoring the other backend issues that would change over time (servers, etc)

would love to hear your thoughts as you can see that there is alot of discussion in regards to UK and FTTP and interested in others thoughts for whats best for future proofing our Country

Cheers 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: theoretical max data rate of FTTP from Openreach compared to DOCSIS

I'n not techicaly enough to go into the technical things but practicaly I see Virgin Media cabinets in every street here yet my BT/OR is 2 housing estates away so in a straight line at least half a mile I would say and allways when discussing my service with OR I'm told you have a long line.

So I would have OR install more cabinets.

I believe if one wants this FTTP one as to pay for it being provided so only bussiness and rich can afford it.

I'm hoping for more cabinets as the future, the thought of going Virgin Media is at the back of my mind as one gets no choice of ISP.

0 Ratings
nlao
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Well the basic FTTC can do 80MB but they keep pushing the limit of the of copper pair and with Gfast you can get to 330Mbps. I expect they are really pushing the limit of a twisted pair.

I don't know what FTTP currently is at? 300Mbps?

DOCSIS uses coax to the house rather than a twisted pair for FTTC, what does the FTTP come into the house on? COAX? If so it might be comparable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@Winstonedd wrote:

I am extremely happy with my FFTP service, but out of curiosity for future proofing, what would the FTTP infrastructure be able to handle compared to other technologies such as DOCSIS etc. this is purely on what the Fiber could handle ignoring the other backend issues that would change over time (servers, etc)

would love to hear your thoughts as you can see that there is alot of discussion in regards to UK and FTTP and interested in others thoughts for whats best for future proofing our Country

Cheers 

The bandwidth of the fibre itself is to all intents and purposes virtually infinite, depends on how much you want to spend on the kit at each end to operate it.

nlao
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

So FTTP actually brings a fbire connection to the house? No COAX like the Virgin DOCSIS system?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

That's why its called FTTP, Fibre To The Premises. Smiley Wink  FTTC, is Fibre To The Cabinet and is copper from the cabinet to the house.

dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

FTTP used to mean Fibre to the Pole when was fibre introduced is it same or different.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Thats FTTdp, fibre to the distribution point, not sure if any is deployed anywhere.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 9

FTTP currently supplies budiness connections up to 10Gbps quite easily.

VM's DOCSIS 3.0 could, with 32 channel bonding supply 1Gbps, currently there latest hub3 supports 24 channels which could deliver just over 900Mbps. DOCSIS 3.1 which is being rolled out throughout the VM network could support multiple Gb connections but will initially be used for DOCSIS 3.0.