cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quilkin
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

upload speed test not telling the truth

BT Infinity: All the standard speed tests show me having a download of 30-35 Mb/s and an upload of 1-2 Mb/s. Not as good upload as it should be, but please read on.

When I try a  'real' upload using an FTP client (Filezilla) the speed drops to about 0.1MB or just gives up altogether.

Luckily I still have access to my old ADSL connection (on a different phone line) so I can easily compare upload speeds on the two broadband lines with the same PC and software. The old connection gives me true uploads of about 0.9 Mb/s.

Looking closely at the progress indicator in the FTP client I can see that the upload goes and then stalls, goes and then stalls, all of the time. So when it's actually going, it's probably 1-2Mb/s but for most of the time it is stalled!

I am testing with a file of about 14MBytes so should take 1-2 minutes or less. In practice it takes 20 minutes, if it ever finished at all. This is very repeatable.

The most annoying thing, though, is that these upload stalls mean that there is often considerable latency when just surfing the web or sending a small email.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: upload speed test not telling the truth

How is that not telling the truth? It's obviously indicating a problem with your upload that the FTP is confirming.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
quilkin
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

The standard speed tests are not telling the truth because they all give between 1 and 2 Mb/s. But when I use an FTP program to actually upload a real file, I get a net (resulting) speed of about one-tenth of this (0.1 Mb/s) because most of the time the upload has stalled.

I just tried again; here is a typical message from the FTP client, while trying (and failing) to upload a 5MB file:

Error: Connection timed out

Error: File transfer failed after transferring 1,657,854 bytes in 54 seconds

I make this about 0.25 Mb/s, so it was going better than 0.1 this time , until it gave up.

A smaller file (when it works) is nearer the benchmark test, I have seen 500kB in 5 sec. But the benchmark tests don't seem to allow for the fact that an upload of a bigger file can just sit there doing nothing for several seconds at a time.

It's the same with uploading to different servers so it's nothing to do with the server.

Also tried with two different FTP clients and 3 different PCs (2 Windows, one Apple).

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 4 of 5

@quilkin wrote:

The standard speed tests are not telling the truth because they all give between 1 and 2 Mb/s. But when I use an FTP program to actually upload a real file, I get a net (resulting) speed of about one-tenth of this (0.1 Mb/s) because most of the time the upload has stalled.

In your initial posting, you said that the FTP gave a speed of about 0.1 MB/s (Megabytes / s), now you are saying 0.1 Mb/s (Megabits / s).  There is about a 10:1 difference between a Megabytes figure and a Megabits figure.  0.1 MB/s is about the same as 1Mb/s.

Either way, it is still not a good speed for Infinity.

0 Ratings
quilkin
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Sorry about the misplaced upper-case MB where it should have been Mb.

So, to clarify:

1.5Mb/s upload (as reported by the speed-testing sites) is poor.

0.1Mb/s upload (as acheived , if it works at all) by the FTP is pretty near useless.

0 Ratings