cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

vpn- drops out

Hi everyone.  I have an ongoing problem with the way my internet reacts to vpn connections.  When wifi laptop connects to new webpage it can prevent homeplug vpn from connecting- or the other way round (vpn stops laptop finding internet.) Sometimes the drop outs are for a few seconds (very slow loading pages ) other times can be a minute or so. Rarely it can be 3-4 mins and sometimes neither can connect. I have spent many hours and complaints with BT trying to work out the problem- a formal complaint over Christmas gave us about 36 hours of perfectly behaved internet with tv streaming  on two tvs, laptop fine and vpn gaming all great. It dropped off a bit but I lost the will to raise it again with BT.  Alas, just as husband is working from home we are having to coordinate who presses enter between his vpn setup and my online news habits- it almost makes our internet use a competitive sport. Anticipating two youngsters back with lectures online/ vpn gaming and some cloud collaboration I can see we will have more problems. 

We have BT fibre- the superfast up to 50mb.  Speed and ping problems of the distant past seem to be fine according to speedchecks on my phone (47DL 9UL ping12), the problem comes with different things trying to connect.  I have been told so many reasons by BT all of which have been debunked (eg 11 standby connections too many (tv boxes, phones and echo dot) upgrade and it will improve (no, it didn't so downgraded to lower fibre speed) etc, and the offer of BT homeplugs to replace my TP ones (which seemed unnecessary as  all work fine and did so for a period over Christmas)  I am almost down to blaming the neighbours for overriding our connection although BT tell me that is also impossible. 

Can anyone offer any advice please? Is it possible it is a BT problem.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: vpn- drops out

There are posts on the forum where customers experience connection problems when using tplink power line adapters. Have you tried connection direct with Ethernet missing out the power line adapters and see if your connection improves

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 3

Re: vpn- drops out

We did think that for a bit but had a few days of everything working brilliantly-literally everything streaming HD and clicking at once  so concluded it was not the tp links. It generally improves for a short time after I complain to BT and then  falls away again until the next complaint.  I will investigate the TP links though just in case.  Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings