cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

website not secure warning - hub manager

When i tried to access my Hub Manager through safari today, just as I'm about to enter the admin password a red warning saying 'website not secure' appears in the address bar at the top of the browser.

I've accessed the hub manager many times before using my ipad and have never seem a warning like that appear.

Has anyone else expereince that?  Is it safe to enter my password?

thanks. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Message 2 of 12

Re: website not secure warning - hub manager

There's no problem here with an iPad mini 2, on ios 11.3.1.
Are you sure that you are connected to the Hub on it's own SSID, and not through BT Wifi-with FON?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Im connecting on the right WIFI, running 11.3.1 too.

i get the summary page up ok using bthomehub.home.

the message only appears (in the browser address bar) after i have clicked on the box to enter my password (when trying to access the event manager).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 12

There’s usually a simple explanation to problems.

Has anything changed recently?

Has the hub firmware changed recently?

When did your iPad iOS change?

First, try a restart, (not a factory reset) of the iPad.

What happens if you try to connect to the hub manager from a Windows pc?

After that it’s going to be a check on the hub settings.....which version of hub is it? Is it a HH6?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Its a homehub 4, but it only happens if i go to the managers through bthomehub.home NOT if i access it via 192.168.1.254.

On doing further research i think its due to the iso update to 11.3.1.   Now with iOS 11.3 Safari checks if a website that asks you to enter password  information is not secure because it's unencrypted and gives the type of warning i saw.

I assume when I use the bthomehub.home method of accessing the manager, Safari now assumes its an unencrypted webpage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 12

Try cleaning history in Safari, and also delete your existing shortcut, if any, to the homehub Manager.

Go to settings > Safari> clear website data.

Or Settings Safari >Adavanced ... and look for anything which looks relevant to delete.

The former is the best method, but you will later have warnings when viewing websites, re cookies, etc.

e.g. At the moment the BBC website keeps giving notices re cookies, etc......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

I think this warning is actually an enhancement of the new safari iso.  There is an apple webpage which explains it, but it must not see .home as an internal domain and thinks its an unencrypted website instead (hence the warning not to put your password in).

When i go to the manager via 192.168.1.254 I dont see any warning.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 12

Looking through some old posts on the forums, this has happened before. In fact I think it’s happened to me, when I loaned a hub to a friend, whose old hub “expired”.

Just add that homehub page to your favourites. Delete any old favourites.

You could also take a quick check on your existing Wi-fi settings to the hub, by going to settings >Wi-fi >select your connection, and then click on the info icon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

I've added to favourites but still getting the 'website not secure' message in the address bar at the top of the screen, when entering the admin password.

any other ideas?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

@michael226 wrote:

I've added to favourites but still getting the 'website not secure' message in the address bar at the top of the screen, when entering the admin password.

any other ideas?

The display at the top of the screen should be 192.168.1.254

Here's where an iTunes sync becomes useful:- backup and sync your iPad over iTunes to a pc.

Do a full reset of the iPad. (I can't predict what happens to any files which are saved, as it's such a long time since I did this, hence the ITunes backup).

If have done this before you could try to restore and older backup - it will not fix the cause of the problem, but might eliminate the ios 11.3.1 variable.

After that, it's a look at the hub......A factory reset, with the recommended settings of "turn off smart setup, split SSIDs to 2.4, 5 Ghz."  However, I can't see that problem is with the Hub....you can only try.

0 Ratings