cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

what is BT like for heavy users?

Go to solution

Hi All

Im going to move from Plusnet VDSL 65Mbps (which has served me well so far) to possibly BT FTTP 900 (yes, it is available, sorry, I get asked a lot) and I want to get future-proofed, be nice to have.

So, I was just wanting an indication of what it's like for those who use 500-600GB a month>? I use a lot of streaming services and download a lot but most of it is browsing YT, streaming and using Bit-Torrent, but most of the bandwidth is me streaming Netflix, Youtube, Plex, Curiosity Stream, Magellan TV - I like my documentaries

any advice greatly appreciated

is their supplied router any good? ill be using G/bit LAN for everything but my mobile anyway

thanks in advance

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: what is BT like for heavy users?

Go to solution

Screenshot_20211012-180227~2.jpg

Is this a heavy enough user? 😜

The smart hub is ok but you can use your own router. If you don't need Digital Voice then yeah go all out with your own switches, gateway and access points but the Smart Hub is ok for even running a NAS and even a VPN server without any issues.

You already probably know but when using third party kit if you get nay network issues customer service will only cover BT supplied kit.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

BT don't have traffic management, you're free to use as much as you like, they also don't throttle or restrict any protocols so your BitTorrent usage is fine.

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

thanks a lot 1.9TB Wow. that'll do me 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

We're running multiple streaming services, NowTV via multicast, PlayStation's, mobiles etc... I'd imagine we're pretty heavy users and we've had no problems at all in 7 years... They even rectified the balls up I caused by giving them the wrong address of our new house... 🤣

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
@ Jac_95 - when using your own router is it easy>? as I've never "bridged" before, I have my ZyXELL VMG8924-B10A as it has an open SoC Broadcom modem so you can telnet into it and use the DSLstats app to gather advanced stats info, this is how I keep an eye on my connection and usage - it will now be useless for PON, but are there any warez that monitors PON in the same way DSL-stats does for xDSL? I like to ensure line conditions etc..
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

There is no need to monitor your line as you do with copper, you can't anyway as any line information is only accessible from the ONT not the router and is totally locked.

Using a third party router is simple, just connect to the ONT and configure the generic BT PPPoE login details of username bthomehub@btbroadband.com  and password BT

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

what kind of speed test results over Gigabit LAN are you getting at AM and PM v your sync speed?

- I find ThinkBroadband's testers are the best external for speed, quality and buffer-bloat testing. along with the Firebrick echo ping service

0 Ratings