cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vertigoVSC
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

why are BT the only company able to supply Fiber internet in my area?

I have visited other ISP websites, input my postcode and they all say I can only have conventional broadband, but if I go to the BT site it says I can have Infinity installed with upto 50mb speeds.

I was under the impression that all phone-line based ISPs should be able to provide the same services...given that its Openreach who ultimately provide the infrastructure.

can anyone shed any light on why BT are the only company offering Fiber in my postcode?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: why are BT the only company able to supply Fiber internet in my area?

Wholesale will sell fibre to any isp who is prepared to pay the cost so maybe other isp's in your area do not see enough profit in selling in your area

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 7

Hi vertigoVSC,

On top of what imjolly has said, if the ISP has their own LLU network then they will need to buy a GEA link from Openreach in order to be able to connect the their own LLU network to the Openreach Fibre infrastructure in you exchange area. Some ISPs/CPs who have their own LLU network at the exchange can take weeks/months to buy and sort out the GEA link.

As BT Retail (this ISP) uses the BT Wholesale network then BT infinity (Fibre broadband) will be readily available to those properties that are in fibre enabled exchange area and are able to get fibre broadband.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
redeye
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

there are other isp's that resell bt fttc products uno broadband are one such company

0 Ratings
vertigoVSC
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi chaps

Many thanks for your replies. I have to confess that i'm not well-versed in the technicalities of fiber network delivery.

Speaking as a consumer looking for the fastest possible internet, I spoke to a number of ISPs who told me that fiber to my address was 'not possible' - hence i wondered why BT say they can supply it and my local exchange is "fiber ready" (Hove, East Sussex) on the BT site.

It appears that there is a lot more to this issue than I realized.

0 Ratings
machasm
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

This link shows that there are some providers offering LLU bundles on your exchange.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDHV
0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

vertigoVSC,

When you contacted the other ISP`s they might have got confused because you asked if you could have a fibre to your home connection [FTTP/H].

Try recontacting them and ask if they can supply you with a FTTC service,as that is the one that uses your normal phone line from a cabinet.

The FTTC service is fibre to the cabinet,then normal phone line [copper] to your home.

They answered your request:

" Speaking as a consumer looking for the fastest possible internet, I spoke to a number of ISPs who told me that fiber to my address was 'not possible'"

But they might have thought that you wanted fibre all the way to your address.?