cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
digitaltvmad
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

why should we loose internet with storm?

Go to solution
My BT internet dropped off many times over the storms yesterday here in south essex.
I am about 200 yards of copper then into box and underground by fibre optic to local telephone exchange which is under mile. So electric in air shouldn't have knock out the signal and most underground. ...so why the drop out?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: why should we loose internet with storm?

Go to solution

was there anything here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
digitaltvmad
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks for your help imjolly some good links.
It does give me some details about the weather hit that network around got over the weekend but it does not show why a fibre optic network that works with light and not power along a copper wire can be knocked out. Even virgin cable did not have any trouble yesterday as I have that too and that copper wire underground and there pits are full of water and other items. ....maybe the network of bt needs along with others to be made weather poof more as we going to get more bad weathers and more often. ..
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
a power loss can cause a loss of service on the fibre network
Highlighted
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Where abouts in South Essex are you? I know for a fact there were quite a few power cuts in various areas of South Essex that most likely affected the local FTTC cabinet.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
LJ50
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
I'm also on the EASTF exchange and lost connectivity last Thursday night during the storms. Everyone else's service connected to cabinet 19 seems to have been fixed around 10am on the Friday morning.

Despite dozens of calls to BT, still not connected. And no engineer (though the story of where the engineer is going to go to fix the fault changes by the hour) until Tuesday now.

During the last few days I've been lied to countless of times by BT and really, I'm just about done. Cancelling my service seems the only way to avoid the incredible frustration of having to deal with BT whenever anything goes wrong.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
as you well know BT like all other ISP's can only give you the information Openreach give them so changing providers achieves very little
0 Ratings
LJ50
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
Openreach are BT, let's not pander to the charade that somehow they're not the same company. Yes BT Retail have to deal with their colleagues in Openreach, but they're all still BT.

And please note in my post I didn't say anything about going to another provider. I don't actually have any option, we're not in a Virgin area. I merely said that cancelling (therefore having no service) seems to be the only way to avoid having to go through the incredible frustration of getting BT to do their job whenever you have a problem.

At the moment, it feels like having no internet provider would be a better option. Right now I have no service but do have to spend 2, e or 4 hours a day on the phone being treated with contempt and lied to.

But thanks for the "clever" answer. Definitely helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
It's a bit more complex than that.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
LJ50
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
In what respect is it more complex?

Because they have regulatory obligations not to provide a better service internally than externally, somehow that excuses the awful customer service and staggeringly poor communication?

Not even the most loyal employee of BT would claim that they're not chaotic.
0 Ratings