I've just had BT Infinity 2 installed and am incredibly pleased with the speed - 75Mb download and 16 Mb upload (using speedtest.net).
I know this is nothing to do with BT, but I'm hoping someone maybe able to help. I have an oldish house and have been using Devolo AV200 Powerline adapters to network the house. Up until now they have worked very well, however using them now cuts the speed from 75Mb down to 20Mb.
I phoned the support number (unfortunately there is no UK number - only a German one) and the guy was incredibly unhelpful - he just wanted to defend how wonderful his products are. When I purchased these adapters (which cost a fair bit of money) I assumed that the "200Mb" speed advertised would give me "200Mb" or thereabouts - apparenty not so and he went to great lengths to tell me why "200Mb" does not mean "200Mb". I've done all the trouble-shooting and upgraded to the latest firmware but the speed does not increase from 20Mb.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with Devolo products and if so, can make any suggestions?
Good morning Balham,
I am also using Devolo 200AV homeplug (the older version with the red LED) and I can confirm there is no issue at all with speed. I am on Infinity 2 and get 60Mb out of them (logically I cannot get above my IP profile set at 62Mb). Theoretically I beleive the max throuput you will get from them would be around the 80-90Mb mark.
I have however upgraded the firmware on them.
Check the Devolo webside (download section) and a dropdown list will show the various models. However, please download and install the Cockpick software first as you may end up having to reset the home plugs to the factory defaults after upgrading the firmware. The Cockpick software will tell you at what speed the homeplugs are communicating between them. It shows 189 Mb/s at my home but this is the theoretical speed and you can divide this by half to get a rough estimate at the max actual (still fast enough to me).
In regards to the 20Mb you are getting I could only advise you to check the followings:
1 - Manually change the DNS in Windows and or Mac OSX to Open DNS (126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52).
Reboot the PC and see if this makes a difference.
2 - Make sure you do have the homeplugs connected to a wall socked only (no extension, etc...).
Let us know what you see via the Cockpit software from Devolo. Maybe one of them is defective???...
Many thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated.
I've carried out the various suggestions (reboot, new firmware etc.) Dashboard is showing 90Mb yet speedtest.net gives me 20Mb download (though if I connect the PC directly to the router via an Ethernet cable, it gives me about 75Mb).
I've just tried using a new pair of Solwise Powerline adapter (1 GB) and have the same problem with them. I have their technical support number a ring and when I mentioned BT Infinity they immediately said that there is an issue with one of the boxes causing mains noise.
Not sure what to do next.
Webby could well be right. There is obviously something causing the throughput issue. 90Mb using Cockpick shows there is clearly a link speed problem. Now if on top of that you have tried another set and yet the problem remains then it not the homeplugs but something else (i.e: interferences). I would try moving the homeplug connected to the PC to another room (if possible) and check the link speed via the Cockpit software to see if it improves. If not then I would do the same again but this time moving the homeplug connected to the router and check the link speed again. Hopefully you will be able to see if it is coming from one of the wall socket you are connecting to.
Yes - that makes sense - I need to do a classic "problem-solve" excersise - thanks for all your help. I'll report back on progress.
I have three solwise 500mbps I purchased for £30 each from faculty x and they give me a throughput of 90mbps from my fttp connection.
A quick update ... I moved the adapter attached to the router much further away (using a long RJ45 lead) and then tried the connection with the Devolos - it went up to 45Mb. I then tried it with the Solwise adapters and the speed rose to 75Mb.