Contributor
Spank2k

BT Infinity 2 installed but slow speeds

Hi all,

I got BT Infinity 2 installed earlier today. Speedtest.net results show that get high 20s down and mid teens up which seems very slow for Infinity. My predicted speed was 58.9Mb down and 18Mb up so downloads are about half expected. I used to have BT Infinity 1 at my old house before we moved five weeks ago. Last time I had it installed, I got the full expected 38Mb speeds immediately after installation, hence my concern now.

Strangely, when I use BT's beta Infinity speed checker, it says 68.06 Mb down and 14.18 Mb up but I don't get those speeds anywhere else on the internet.

Although my exchange got switched to fibre a good while ago, my cabinet was only enabled today I think as I'd been checking the BT Infinity availability checker daily and the BT engineer said that mine looked to be the first one in the area.

I won't be too concerned if I don't get the full advertised 58.9Mb but I do want to get at least the equivalent to my previous BT Infinity line as anything less feels slow.

Guru
Aarong

Re: BT Infinity 2 installed but slow speeds

Hi, could you run a speedtest here: http://www.speedtester.bt.com (ADSL/FTTC) tester and post results please.

This way we can take a look at your profiles and see what speeds you are receiving.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Contributor
Spank2k

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: 

Download Speed : 69.36 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: 

Upload Speed : 10.62 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

I've just run it again and it got 69.92 Mbps down and 14.39 Mbps up.

However, it seems as if my concerns were unfounded as I've just done another test on speedtest.net and my download speed is now 57.44 Mbps and upload 16.12 Mbps. I'm guessing it just took a while for the line to activate properly.

Guru
Aarong

Hmm possibly not to sure on that one though. Along with that test did you manage to capture the I.P profile of your speeds? this will show exactly what your syncing at.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Guru
Webby

www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk - try a test there please.

Speedtests are a rubbish was to "test your speed" if you will. There's too many variables to get an accurate reading every time.

Often when downloading files from website, they can't supply the speed that your line demand (or can cope with). This is why things like newsgroups which provide multiple connections to servers can download at much higher speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor
pauleapo

Webby,

I have not managed to get accurate speeds from tests, I have a simalar thing to OP tests on BT Checker show really healthy profile and good DL & UL speeds. But speedtest.net & BBmax show lower even though more than adequate, and not really a complaint.

I was expecting to Max out my connection by downloading files from different sites, but your quoted text below does make cracking sense "Often when downloading files from website, they can't supply the speed that your line demand (or can cope with)"

But even from this link Test Files with the test files I get nothing like what the speedtesters show? Think from memory max I acheive wired on these test files is about 2000kB/s which is, correct me if I am incorrect about 16mb down. 

I do not pay for Newsgroups so not something I can use to test,

This is my thread from last week Infinity & Beyond Thread 

Paul

Guru
Webby

When I download mixes from soundcloud I get a max of about 2100kB/s too so it's not abnormal. It all depends on the site I guess.

Think broadband also doesn't allow me to get anywhere close to the 9.8MB/s I get with newsgroups.

Depending on how large the file is too will make a difference. It takes a little bit of time for the download to "get up to speed" much like accelerating in a car, not all cars (or sites) will get to the max speed (which will differ) at the same rate.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
RobW1977

Paul, could be worth trying the following sites to see what sort of speeds they are reporting for you (I got these from a thinkbroadband forum thread I was involved in):

http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_appspeed.html (single connection, high port number)

http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_capspeed.html (4 connections)

http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/mycapacity_50mb.html (connectionless UDP)

The speeds I get for the first link match pretty much what I can get on a standard download (around 35-45Mbps). For the second I can max out my 76Mbps connection which is what I can currently only seem to do if using a download manager tool to use multiple treads and I guess the Newsgroups Webby mentioned would fall into this too.

cheers

Rob

Contributor
pauleapo

Rob,

Thanks for your post, I found the links really useful and also very satisfying as they show that my connection is pretty good. Also tested the test files using a download manager on wireless and wired, wireless only getting just over 2000kB/s download  speed, but on wired just shy of 8000kB/s. So works an absolute treat :smileyhappy:

So again thanks for the helpful links.

Paul