Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

BT-Infinity - How much cable replacement is needed?

Hi everyone, be really grateful for some advice.

I have moved into a flat and have arranged for BT infinity fibre installation.

My phone line looks like it comes up the front outside of the building, up the wall and through a hole just to the bottom right of the window. Looks like standard phone cable. The cable then goes into a junction box on the window sill (see image 1 below).

The line continues around the flat skirting boards into a hall with a phone socket (see image 2). It also goes off to an extension for a secondary phone connection socket.

Can I use all existing standard cabling or will it need upgrading?

If the cable up the outside wall is upgraded, and this comes inside the first room. Can I  leave the existing cable around the flat just for phone connections? 

How much mess will be made, the property is a rental and I need to minimise damage?

junction-box.jpg

socket.jpg

Distinguished Sage

Re: BT-Infinity - How much cable replacement is needed?

[ Edited ]

I would expect it to be left as it is, and the master socket front changed for the new one like this. The extension would be wired internally to the back of the new NTE.

Do you have a power socket near this master phone socket?

newnte.jpg

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner

Cheers Keith for your fast response.

Yes there is a power socket right next to that master socket. I am hoping to use my netgear ethernet power adaptor to create a network through the power cables to minimize cabling.

When you say wired internally, does this mean that the existing cabling which runs through the junction box then down the outside of the building will be fast enough for infinity to work?

(Your link requires access through existing BT connection)

Distinguished Sage

The existing wiring should be fine, provided there is no damp or corrosion in that old junction box, as there does appear to be some black mouid in the corner of the window ledge.

I would insist that the Openreach Field Technician checks it, as you do not want to be charged for another visit later, to replace the corrected connections.

If its corroded, then it can be replaced during the installation visit, as part of the job.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner

Thanks Keith you have set my mind at rest! Will get them to check the box.

Howard

Distinguished Sage

Hopefully you get an Openreach Technician, and not a contractor. I am not sure what they do with those old connection boxes, they may simply remove them, and crimp the wire ends together.

The main thing with those type of block terminals, is that there are no additional wires connected in, as they used to wire extensions from those boxes, and that would give problems on Infinity.

As your extension comes from the master socket, you should be fine.