Beginner
King6887

BT Infinity - Slow speeds suddenly

I recently (23rd Nov) Got BT Infinity and it was fine until last night. Suddenly my speeds seem to drop to anywhere between 1-3 Mb/s from 37+ Mb/s. I have checked just about everywhere on this mess of a BT site for info regarding speed drops like this and have found nothing. Most of the time it is fine, and runs at full speed, but the last two evenings it has been dead slow.

Test earlier today: 

Test using the bt one just now:

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
1119 Kbps

0 Kbps38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 1119 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
654 Kbps

0 Kbps10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 654 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Aspiring Expert
spacepilot

Re: BT Infinity - Slow speeds suddenly

i got my infinity on 16th nov, and have been fine until today - i had a zero speed connection to my infinity this morning, after leaving it to it's self overnight (switched on ) i had to do a disconnect/reset on the hub homepage, and have since got 'normal' infinity speeds.

welcome to the world of last wednesday week.

there's now't wrong with 2 cans and a piece of string. at certain times, it is often faster.

Aspiring Expert
Mad_scientist

Did your IP profile change too Spacegoat or just the throughput untill you power cycled the modem? I am only geting 2/3rds of my IP profile as throughput but have been have not realy wanted to power cycle the modem

Beginner
King6887

My problem seems to be down to being capped in peek times due to heavy usage. Not sure how that has come about, but BT reckoned the connection has downloaded 300GB in the month (The Limit for Unlimited (yea go figure...)) , and having only gotten it on the 23rd, that's a week.

Oddly total traffic across my pc, including all internal LAN traffic (streaming between PC and PS3) only comes to 45GB for the last 14 days. (last time pc was rebooted). So no idea how they managed to come to that conclusion.

Anyway, be warned, Unlimited is Limited at 300GB a month apparently, then speeds will be divided by 37 it seems.

Beginner
King6887

Apparently this was mistakenly added to our profile when we went from normal to Infinity. It was apparently removed this morning. Come peek time, run a speed test, 2mb/s. So despite saying 1 thing BT are doing another.

Highly incompetent it seems, then again having read some more of these forums, that doesn't seem to be news to anyone.

Contributor
jumpjet

[ Edited ]

Mad_scientist wrote:

Did your IP profile change too Spacegoat or just the throughput untill you power cycled the modem? I am only geting 2/3rds of my IP profile as throughput but have been have not realy wanted to power cycle the modem

Just after midnight 30th Nov/1st Dec my infinity speed dropped to 8 Mbits down (from 38 MBits). It was the 6th/7th day of the new connection, so I was bothered about the 'leave it for 10 days to build a profile' thing. I took the bull by the horns and went for it, as I was not prepared to leave it there.

I switched off the PC, hit the reset switch on the high speed openreach modem, let it re-sync, then did the same for the BT Hub.

On boot up everything was at normal infinity speeds, and I had a new IP. My profile remained the same when I did the BT Speedtest

IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps
So I was concerned for no reason ....... :smileyhappy:

Aspiring Expert
Mad_scientist

I tried it with mine and the IP profile dropped from 38 to 26. Is anyone else getting these drops in IP profile with infinity? Most people seem to stay arround the rate they get at install.
Aspiring Expert
spacepilot

i have had a couple of moments where although both are on, with all the lights that should be on - in, but  i couuld not connect to the internet. I disconnected via the home hub home page, but have not physically touched the home hub or the other box. on connection, i got the full service

my ip is a constant 38717, with a downloads speed varying from 35240 to 31477 (yesterdays reading, with it being -2 outside) and an up of 8283/8216. my infinity green box is about 300 metres away.

welcome to the world of last wednesday week.

there's now't wrong with 2 cans and a piece of string. at certain times, it is often faster.

_Inifinity_So_Slow_

Yes I have slow speeds between 6 and midnight, BT have sent three engineers over to 'fix' the problem even though I carefully explain to the person on the phone that it works fine during the day upto 30Mbps, then painfully slow 0.54Mbps in the evenings, like clock work.

At least I know I'm not the only one, plenty more people are having the same problems.

BT said we are entited to money back from the time we report the fault. 

It's clearly their problem and they are happy to deny it.

Come on BT, just let us know what is happening so as not to keep us in the dark with your fibre optics.

towardsinfinity

if its any consolation. we upgraded to Infinty and guess what!!!!! its slower than the old original adsl broadband

onwards and downwards