Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

BT Infinity Wireless Connection Problem

I have a desktop computer and Laptop before having BT Infinity install the laptop connected to the Hub through wireless connection. Now Bt Infinity installed can not get any connection on Laptop.

Been on to BT twice for several hours and still no solution.

Also internet now slowly than before.

PC
Expert

Re: BT Infinity Wireless Connection Problem

lilyjane wrote:

I have a desktop computer and Laptop before having BT Infinity install the laptop connected to the Hub through wireless connection. Now Bt Infinity installed can not get any connection on Laptop.

Been on to BT twice for several hours and still no solution.

Also internet now slowly than before.

Hi and welcome.

Firstly to identify the speed setting (IP internet Profile) please run the FTTC part when connected/wired http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

If you could post your results that would be helpful example of results scroll down in THIS POST.

Below is some info/checks to go through to try and make a wireless connection.

You can then pull the Tab from the top of the HH3, on it is the wireless key which you can use when following the process below.

Click on your wireless icon at the bottom right of your laptop/PC screen.

Identify your wireless name... should be the strongest, click the connect button enter your key and you should connect.

Once you're connected there are other things you could do to ensure you get the best out of wireless.

If your using a PC there is a useful and free wireless scanner called Inssider.

Screen shot of inssider scroll down THIS POST.

This shows you your wireless signal and your neighbours and will help you identify a clear or least used channel to move your HomeHub3 from it's automatic setting to the clear wireles channel number.

Go to advanced settings then wireless and change from Automatic to a specific "clear" wireless channel number.

To get the best Infinity speeds you need to be using wireless n.

Bit more info on that in the links on THIS POST.

I updated four of my laptops/PC with Edimax wireless n adapters such as THIS ONE or THIS and one with an aerial.

However there are loads of different ones you can use nowadays.

------------------//-------------------

If you can't connect with wireless some more things.-

I had a PC with connection problems... wouldn't go on line, the BT Help software would recognise a problem and ask if I wanted to connect... then I would click on the picture of the HH type I was using and away it would go and connect successfully. 

I did not have this problem on my four other machines. As the problem PC was the only machine with the BT software on it I removed the software and not had the problem since.

Is inssider showing a strong signal. I get around 40dB about 20 feet from the HH3.

change wireless key to something easy/short just for testing then if that doesn't work change encryption type to WEP the lowest level of encryption? 

Only doing this to test and see if we get a working situation... and if so we can analyse and take it from there.

ie if WEP OK then try moving the HH up to the next level of encryption WPA only etc....

If still no connection you could make sure no other machines are on and then  very very briefly set wireless security to none and see if you can connect.

This setting is dangerous as any outsiders/neighbours could jump on your broadband and download lots of things you wouldn't want to be associated with.

But again just doing this as a test to prove the wireless connectivity.

Right if you still cannot connect wirelessly whilst sitting the machine next to your HomeHub3 and without wireless security then can you try another laptop as there may be a problem with your one's wireless card or it's firmware needs an update

Please let us know how it goes.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

Beginner

Re: BT Infinity Wireless Connection Problem

Hi,

Thanks for advice, nothing works, spent hours on the phone to Bt doing same checks 3 times over.

Now sending new Hub.