rzeznikuk

BT Infinity and downloading Torrents

Hi people

Had BT Infinity installed yesteday and though my regular downnloads and ps3 speeds are fine, my torrent speeds are rubbish. When the engineer was here he said I could reach 37meg, but am currently downloading a torrent ( legal ) and got speeds of 2.1k

Any ideas

Thanx

Aspiring Contributor
dinkola

BT Infinity slow downloads using torrents

I can download files from some sites over http at around 3.2mb. Using torrents, I barely see anything go above 200k. Tonight, it suddenly went up to 600k after 12.30am. 

I dont download that much - I tried an experiment with 3 separate files at one & grand total didnt get much passed 200k. After midnight, all 3 increased in speed.

Even my old broadband with max download speeds from websites hitting 600k could often download torrents at that speed. So far, BT infinity seems much much slower than normal broadband when it comes to downloading torrents.

Expert
ComputerGeek

Re: BT Infinity slow downloads using torrents

hi

what type of files are you trying to download??

Also, although you may have a fast download connection, do the seeders have a fast upload connection to match what you are trying to pull back.

I have used torrents to download operating systems like linux and found http download was faster than using torrents.

Hope this helps

CG Over An Out
Aspiring Expert
spar

i dont think you read bt fair uasge policy. it is doing exactly what is says

all people no matter what option u picked will have p2p traffic shaped or managed from 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.

that why u see it get faster after midnight

also your upload speed can be shaped/managed all the time, they dont state a time for that so prob is. i think i read somewhere that someone stated they never get above 1mbps upload speed on the 10mps connection eveing off peak and feels cheated. so would most people i would think!

if u dont want this then you will have to pay more and move isps to ones who dont shape like zen, idnet amoung others offering fttc over bt wholesale.

here is the fair usage policy

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/bt-broadband-fair-usage-policy

note point 5

5. What is BT's policy on Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications?

P2P refers to certain applications that enable files and program sharing between groups of people logged on to a P2P network. Because they use uploads and downloads and are often left running 24/7, they consume significant bandwidth, even when being used by just a small number of customers.

Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical, e.g., downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing, we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.

You can, of course, still use P2P services, but downloads will take longer during the peak times.

Aspiring Contributor
dinkola

I didnt read that.

Even still - thottling to 200k is unbelievable. My old 7 quid a month broadband is 3 times faster.

Even outside the times, so far the download speed is pretty lowsy...just about hits normal broadband speeds.

Seriously considering getting rid of super fast fibre optic for being slower than normal broadband...far slower.

Shall be advising people to avoid BT infitinity.

Surely they can hand out more than 200k per person.

Will have to downloading linux distros/etc directly (kinda defeating their purpose - Im still downloading same amount of data).

Aspiring Contributor
smelly

Funny how everyone seems to be downloading Linux distros via p2p. Is it really that popular or is it just a legitimate reason/excuss??

Aspiring Contributor
dinkola

First time I ever heard about it years ago that's what it was being used for & still is.
Beginner
Nostralls

Aspiring Contributor
dinkola

Just did a test. Using o2 normal broadband - download speed of download on torrent is 60k, switch to BT infinity max speed maxs out a 9k for same file. Seems that Infinity is even throttling really slow downloads too. Normal http traffic is 3.2mb. Seems there is some extreme throttling going on here, even when your hardly using it.

Contributor
andybird456

I have a couple of subscription / paid for sites that use p2p tech for downloads

lots of game or app updates use p2p too and I've not noticed them being excessivley slower than anything else (apart from last week / last weekend when everything was rubbish)

right now I'm getting 600K, sometimes I get up to 3mb