Beginner
AdrianB

BT Infinity checker accuracy

I'm quite interested in getting BT Infinity, and checked availability using the checker at bt.com/infinity. This says I can't get Infinity, even though my local exchange (Berkhamsted) has been activated.
However, the BT wholesale broadband checker at dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome says I should be able to get FTTC broadband on my line:
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 23.2Mbps and upstream line speed of 9.5Mbps."

So why can't I get Infinity? Is that a choice by BT not to supply my address for some reason?

MJK
Aspiring Contributor
MJK

Re: BT Infinity checker accuracy

Hi there - the issue which you've got is that the Infinity rollout is a little bits-and-pieces.  Although Berkhamstead exchange is actually enabled, the street cabinet which your line is connected to probably isn't (and indeed may not be planned to be - ever).

The absoloute biggest clue is when the Infinity equipment cabinet gets installed next to "your" street cabinet. 

http://www.trefor.net/tag/fttc-cabinet-photo/ 

The BT Infinity checker is pretty good; if it says no, then sadly, the answer is probably no.  Two glimmers of hope though:  1) if Infinity is not available now, it may be that you are scheduled on the BT plan for FTTH (but that will be at least two years away).  2) although the checker is pretty good, it's not perfect.  Give it another couple of weeks and ring Infinity Sales.  the situation may change

Good luck

loz
Beginner
loz

[ Edited ]

Seems like I am in the same boat.

The BT "Can I get Infinity" says No... no plans

But annoyingly when I tried to vote in the race to infinity using the same number, it said "already scheduled". And sure enough the infinity map says my exchange is already enabled.

Also, checking on http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

It says

Quote:
BT FTTC broadband availability
You are connected to the Crowthorne telephone exchange.

FTTC is available in your area
» Matched result using the phone you provided

But I just had a conversation with someone at BT who said (having giving him my address, postcode and phone number) that Infinity was not available in my area. When I asked him about the conflicting information saying that Crowthorne was already available, he said "Sorry, I haven't got the tools available to me in the call centre to tell you what exchange you are connected to". Unbelievable...

Though the BT Business Broadband checker does confirm I am connected to the Crowthorne exchange too.

A bit annoying that on one hand BT are saying "great news, your exchange is enabled for Infinity", but then on the other saying "but not your actual house"...

loz
Beginner
loz

I also just tried http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

And got

"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 14.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 4.8Mbps."

So, I am still unclear as to why "Can I get Infinity" says NO...

Sage
john46

Hi sorry to say the reason is that Bt-wholesale have set a minimum target speed of 15 mb download you are at 14.6 not much difference i know but enough to take you out of the picture of getting Infinity hope fully in the future this strict limit will be relaxed
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
imjolly

this is an interesting article which says BT wholesale have lowered the FTTC 15mb minimum down to 5mb but BT retail say they intend to maintain 15mb minimum

http://www.chooseisp.co.uk/broadband-guide/news/bt-takes-superfast-broadband-to-new-low.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
LaughingJohn

[ Edited ]

Your best bet is to ring them up.

The BT Infinity checker is a bit pants - I still get told I can't have it even though I've been on Infinity for a couple of months. In fact I got an email telling me I couldn't get it on the day it was being installed and have had several after that. I'd tried to register my interest a few too many times and the emails seem to take ages to turn up, and are badly worded and were wrong.

I guess it's much harder to be accurate to the cabinet than it is to the Exchange.

zebster

So how did you convince them to upgrade you if their checker says that it is not available on your line?  I think that is what everyone wants to know.  As you said the checker is a bit pants!

JAS
Aspiring Contributor
JAS

bt infin isn.t all that cracked out to be had for nearly a year been disappointed with it throottled speeds line drops modem over heatig etc no good for p2p sharing

Aspiring Contributor
lshmcon

Cabinet

This is what my local street cabinet looks like, simmilar to that supporting BT Infinity FTTC, it was closed for maintenance by BT as what can be seen in the photograph. My exchange (Hardingstone) is said to be upgraded in June 2012, and other areas of northampton using this exchange are getting BT Infinity in March 2012, however my street is not. I am really confused please help!