Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

BT Infinity hopeless wifi

The set-up is a BT Home Hub 3, BT OpenReach, BT Youview with Powerline adapter. We have run an ethernet cable from the Hub down 2 flights of stairs to my grandson's gaming PC. The wifi signal to TV and 2 laptops is extremely variable. Last night the download was 10 and the TV was buffering/ This morning the wifi down was 15 (up was 17). This afternoon the ethernet cable gave 55 down which is supposedly the minimum guaranteed on this contract. The laptop got a 27 down.

I am thinking of buying yet another router, attaching it to the ethernet cable downstaiirs then attaching the gaming PV into that. I hope this will improve the wifi. Can I attach the Youview box into the same router via a cable?

If another router is viable has anyone a recommendation?

Incidentally I am surprised the TV isn't worse as the electrics in this house are not of the best quality!

Thanks in advance

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Re: BT Infinity hopeless wifi

You don't need another router, just a wireless access point with Ethernet ports. Something like this

Edimax EW-7228APn N150 Wireless Access Point with 5 Port switch, £20 from Amazon. It only has 2.4Ghz wireless though.

0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Hi @annemarigold and welcome.

@licquorice is correct. Your best bet would be the Wireless Access Point and would be much cheaper than a new router.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings

Many thanks
Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

BTW you can connect you youview box via cable to the HH3.

0 Ratings

Th HH3 is up 3 flights of  stairs with the Open Reach Box

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Ah, misunderstood you. If you get thewireless access point @licquorice indicated or similar you would be able to connect to that with ethernet cable.