Aspiring Contributor
AjayK48
Accepted Solution

BT Infinity instalation question about wiring

Current set up for standard BT Broadband

Master NTE5 socket at back of property with a faceplace on with two outlets for ADSL and phone

RJ11 plug and cable from ADSL side running up through loft to front of house then down into study and into ADSL socket on rear of BT Homehub 3.

RJ45 Ethernet cable from yellow sockets on HH3 to two computers

When Infinity is installed will the NTE5 socket and existing faceplate have to be changed?

Will the existing RJ11 cable from the faceplate to the HH3 have to be changed and if so with what?

Where does the new modem fit into the setup and what cables come in and out of it?

Thank you

Expert
vofsanity2

Re: BT Infinity instalation question about wiring

Have a look at the following which should answer your question:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29023

Aspiring Contributor
AjayK48

Sorry but that doesn't really answer my question.

Aspiring Contributor
CooperR1

I think I know where your coming from. You have a face plate with the phone and ADSL already on it and you have a RJ11 cable going to the loft from the master socket to the home hub in the loft. I dont think this setup will change much for you. The new open reach modem will go near the incoming BT master socket and you can plug the ethernet cable from the loft into the back of it and change the HH in the loft to accept the new connection. 

I would say is that you might loose some speed with the distance from the Openreach modem.

Aspiring Expert
Nige32

Hi

I think you can run up to a max off 30m for the RJ11 to RJ11 cable as for the RJ45 cat5e cable you can go to 100m before you start to suffer any loss of speed .  

Aspiring Contributor
JediBUZ

If the cable length works now then it should work when infinity is installed. 

When the Openreach guy comes you can always try and ask him if he could move your master socket.

Otherwise I would recomend installing at least the modem and possiblly the router at the master socket. 

I would then recommend running Cat6e on runs over 30 meters,  Cat5e will loose the abillity of running 1GB of runs over 40-50+ meters.

BT Infinity 80/20 using openreach's Huawei VDSL2 v3 modem connected to Apple Airport Extreme. (can highly recommend)
Aspiring Contributor
AjayK48

Openreach have been this morning and installed. He changed my faceplate on the master socket but retained the RJ11 cable that ran from their via the loft and down into my study. The RJ11 cable plugs into the back of the new modem and then an Ethernet cable connects the modem with the red Ethernet socket on the back of my existing HomeHub 3.

Download Speed 35.55 MBps (Pleased)

Upload Speed 1.66MBps (Dissapointed)

This Upload speed is only fractionally faster than on ordinary Broadband and rather dissapointing. Why is there such a difference?

ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If you've got Infinity 1 - the upload is capped at 2 Mb.

If you've got Infinity 2 with 10Mb upload speed, then it might be a dodgy port on the hub.

Try running the BT speedtest.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520

and then post the results including your profile.

Hope this helps

Michael

PS assuming of course you are coonecting your PC to the hub with an ethernet cable.

Aspiring Contributor
AjayK48

ypt wrote:

Hi,

If you've got Infinity 1 - the upload is capped at 2 Mb.

If you've got Infinity 2 with 10Mb upload speed, then it might be a dodgy port on the hub.

Try running the BT speedtest.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520

and then post the results including your profile.

Hope this helps

Michael

PS assuming of course you are coonecting your PC to the hub with an ethernet cable.

When I first phoned up sales last week to enquire if BT Infinity was available in my area I was told it was £18.30 p/m with a predicted speed of 34.4mbps download and 10mbps upload. This was unlimited downloads but subject to a fair usage policy.

Only having been connected today and phoned up to complain about the upload speed have I been told I would have to pay extra for the 10mbps upload. It seems I have been miss sold the product by being quoted the speeds for Infinity Option 2 but costs for Infinity Option 1.

I guess I should have studied the website better but I prefer to speak to someone on the phone and trust I am getting the correct information.

I am trying to complain but not getting very far.

ypt
Aspiring Expert
ypt

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The advantage of option 2 is that the downloads are truely unlimited - there was a fair usage limit of 300Gb, but that has been removed.

If you contact the mods, http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

they should be able to help, i would imagine to go to Option 2 there will be the cost implication, but it is worth seeing if they will give you a good offer for the "mis selling".

The mods are a small band of BT employees based in Northern Ireland - they can take up to 72 hours to reply, but they have a good track record - I am very grateful they got my infinity on track (touch wood)

Michael