Aspiring Contributor
philman1975
Accepted Solution

BT Infinity option 2 to option 1 (unlimited)

I have been on option 2 Infinity for nearly a year but due to BT Sports I thought I would sign up for a new contract.

I have had slowish speeds on Infinity 2 since installation (30 mgps) and have had numerous engineer visits.  My sync speeds were initially high (68 i think) but have now been dropped to about 58 mgps.  I've now given up on a solution (quite some time ago).

As I havent been getting anywhere near these speeds I thought I would drop down to the option 1 - option 1 has been quoted as 40 MGPS.  This saves £3 pm.

Can anyone tell me (and apologies if this is a daft question) but would my download speeds remain the same as the most I was getting from option 2 was about 30mgps or would the change to option 1 now mean I would get less than I was before (based on the fact I was only getting about half of the download speed I should have been getting).

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks.

Expert
miles_safer

Re: BT Infinity option 2 to option 1 (unlimited)

I believe you would see no change. Dropping to Infinity 1 would just put a cap in to stop your speed going over 38. But I'm sure someone will correct that if I'm wrong.
Aspiring Contributor
philman1975

Many thanks for the reply.  You were correct - in fact my overall speed actually increased!  I was usually getting about 30Mgps on option 2 - with the "downgrade" to option 1 unlimited I am now getting 35mgps!  This is obviously capped at 40mgps.

No - it doesnt make sense to me either!

Thanks again.

Expert
ray_dorset

Perhaps your IP profile was reset due to the downgrade?
Aspiring Contributor
philman1975

perhaps but they tried resetting my ip profile (as well as many other things) while I was on the option 2.  Either way I'm just pleased that the downgrade actually increased my speed.  I've given up trying to find out why I couldnt get close to the expected speed on option 2

Expert
ray_dorset

philman1975 wrote:
perhaps but they tried resetting my ip profile (as well as many other things) while I was on the option 2. 

You can't just get it reset, there has to be some activity such as a line fault being fixed, or a package change.

scousermouse

Had the same issue more or less. Opted for up to ? 76mbs. Initially was 46mbs. After a couple of months from installation, the speed dropped down to 16mbs. Had quite a few calls to customer services, who were very helpful and pleasant. Loads of line checks using ethernet cable, new faceplate on my line-in box, still no improvement. Had another engineer visit, more line checks, no problems. However, we live at the limit of the Hayes exchange. Changed to Infinity 1 unlimited and Hey-Presto! Consistent 34-36mbs since then. Even saving us a few quid each month. Unless we move house closer to the exchange, we cannot get any faster speeds, but 36mbs seems to good enough for all our needs.