Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

BT home Hub 3.0, Hub Manager problem

I just got my infinity on Friday and wanted to give my Xbox its own IP and open the some ports. I've done this many times before but never on a home hub or BT, So I went to 192.168.1.254 and straight away it asked to change my password, So I did this, entered the original password I was given and what I wanted to change it to and everything seemed to work fine so I clicked change password and open BT hub manager then clicked setting to sort out my Xbox but now it keeps asking me to change password continuously no matter what I do . I cant access settings and it does not give a option to log in and only asks me reset my password . I tried to rest it again and it just gives the error "The first log in password has been changed . You cant change it again" Can anyone please help me fix this?

Contributor

Re: BT home Hub 3.0, Hub Manager problem

There is a factory reset button, go for it.... I had a similar problem. It doesn't let me in with my password. But I'm not bother yet to reset it... Happily using the Draytek instead Smiley Happy

Aspiring Contributor

Im still within my first ten days, so i didn't really want to reset it, as this can look like a fault on the line? and i never got a option to keep my original Admin password. Surely i should of got a box prompting me to log in with the default Username and Password once i get to, http://192.168.1.254/

Distinguished Guru

If the hub manager keeps asking you to change the default password (the page with the default and the 2 new password entries) what I would do is disconnect the hub from everything except the power supply, press and hold the (little red) reset button for 15 seconds - until the hub powers down and allow it to reboot. Then connect one laptop/PC via ethernet and change the default password again. Try and navigate through the hub a few times to see if it still asks for the default password to be changed again. Whatever the outcome then I'd reconnect it.

If the password reset works then good

If it still asks you to keep resetting the password, you need to call BT, advise them that the hub appears to be faulty and they'll probably send out a replacement

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

If you want to change the IP address on the Xbox, you do it on the Xbox, not the home hub.

You cannot specify the IP address on the home hub, you have to rely on DHCP, which can fail.

See Static IP with Home Hub

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

Yeah after a router reset it let me change my password eventually and got into hub advanced settings.

And i know you assign the IP Address via the Xbox but i still needed to get on hub manager to open the ports needed for the address i gave my xbox, I ended up just leaving my Xbox's IP to automatic and then getting the Hub to auto assign this address to my Xbox everytime, then put this address in to DMZ, Not the way i would recommend others to do it, but it will do for the moment,

Thanks to all who helped

Contributor

You said

Im still within my first ten days, so i didn't really want to reset it, as this can look like a fault on the line?

Actually, you should avoid switching off the Huawei VDSL modem, as this might be seen as a line fault. With Infinity, the Home Hub 3 router  is the other side of the modem and the exchange line equipment neither sees nor cares what's going on beyond the modem. The protocol between the modem and the router is at a much higher level than that between the modem and the line.

With normal ADSL broadband the Home Hub 3 incorporates the modem, hence the advice not to switch off because this is seen by the exchange equipment.

So, with Infinity you can turn off the HH3 without compromising your line stats.