kurtdreslin

BT infinity & sky sports through own router

Hi All

Im using my own router which works fine Netgear r6300 for my infinity and works brilliantly (lot quicker than hh3) However I cant receive the sky sports through it at all saying no connection on my tv screen yet internet works fine pc and all my wireless devices

Anyone have any ideas? Ive an error code vmc011 if this helps?

Thanks 

Kurt

Expert
ray_dorset

Re: BT infinity & sky sports through own router

kurtdreslin

Hi

Right here goes after a lot fiddling

1. My own router works fine when I connect the vdsl to my router etc no problem

2. Then when I use a 2nd ethernet port on the back of my router to get to pc (via my own powerline adaptors works fine

3. Then when I connect bt vision to 3rd port cant get any sky sports etc says no connection

I can only think it may be the cable now between the vision box and the router unless any one else has any other ideas?

Thanks

Sage
john46

it could also be a faulty router port have you tried changing them around to see if that solves the poblem
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

The person who installed my daughters box, said to only use port 4 for BT Vision. I was there at the time.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

kurtdreslin

Hi Again

This is very weird!

If I unpluig the lead from vdsl box and go into internet port on my router sports wont work yet if I then plug this into a normal ethernet port it will im totally lost!!!

Expert
umpire

[ Edited ]

Are you now receiving Sky Sports via the Infinity broadband connection using the BT multicast technology, as opposed to over the air via a normal Freeview TV aerial?

I believe there can be issues when trying to receive Infinity multicast TV channels using a non-BT VDSL router (I haven't tried it myself though). Go over to the BT Vision forum and do a search for something like "multicast router" and you might find some info on what some other people have found to work or not.

kurtdreslin

Ive tried port 4 with the bt vision and I get nothing at all and ive changed the cable too think ill take it back to the shop and use the home hub which I know works.

The problem mainly occurs when I connect the vdsl to the internet port on my netgear which I have to do to get access for pc

Thanks

Kurt

Expert
ray_dorset

So it works with the Homehub but doesn't work with your own router. I'd say the problem is caused by your own router.
Beginner
Elbowe

I just installed a draytek router. Same issue. Normal on demand works, sky does not. To be honest, I'm going to keep the draytek and bin the hh and along with it sky. Their loss. Their hh box is poor, the draytek allows me to filter what my kids see and do not see on the Internet. It's a shame that as per usual bt always produce an issue.

If I manage to fix it I will post again. But pleased you put this up as I may have gone around in circles for a while.