Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

BT infinity - change of location of master socket

I moved house last year. The main phone line is in a bedroom as the house used to be two flats - not ideal.

I am thinking of getting BT Infinity as it has just moved to my area. Ideally I'd like to move the master socket to the study. This would mean rewiring from the external BT 'box'. I don't want or need any rewiring/extension cables inside the house (except maybe to put the phone in the hallway but I could do that myself).

Will I able to ask the engineer to do this as part of the deal on the Infinity installation (so I don't have to pay for an engineer's call)?

Aspiring Contributor

Re: BT infinity - change of location of master socket

I think its unlikely as the Infinity installation is just changing the master socket cover and installing the two pieces of internet hardware [for which you will need two sockets outlets]
Expert

The Infinity install includes moving the master socket to a place/room of your choice. As stated above you will need a power socket there. But there have been a few posts on here from people who did not get this repositioning from the apparently rushed OR engineer. I don't know whether they will do the wiring externally as you wish but you may hit the jackpot if the OR tech is given enough tea & biscuits.
Moderator-Retired

[ Edited ]

miles_safer wrote:
The Infinity install includes moving the master socket to a place/room of your choice. As stated above you will need a power socket there. But there have been a few posts on here from people who did not get this repositioning from the apparently rushed OR engineer. I don't know whether they will do the wiring externally as you wish but you may hit the jackpot if the OR tech is given enough tea & biscuits.

Moving the master socket or changing internal wiring is at the discretion of the engineer on the day of the visit; all the engineers are obliged to do is change the faceplate on the master socket (or the entire master socket if necessary so that an NTE5 is in use and can take the new faceplate), install the modem and router and ensure there is a working service before they leave (i.e. demonstrate to the end user, usually by running a speedtest). If extension cabling is required or if the end user requires the equipment to be located away from their master socket they can install a Data Extension Kit for this, however as I'm sure you're all aware some engineers prefer to use pre-existing internal wiring for handiness - it just depends on who you get and whether your existing internal wiring is of a sufficient standard. A general overview can be found here.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.